Chapter 15

"Shh," father gave us a stern look once again, fighting a smile, as he pointed to the play unfolding before us.

The Nutcracker was my absolute favorite, but whenever Mathew was around, I couldn't seem to focus.

Mathew gave him his best 'Princely' smile and turned his head toward the stage once more, his hands folded in his lap. I did the same, watching as a ballerina leapt into the air before being neatly caught by a man. He delicately swung her around.

My rib was poked once more and I did my best not to smile, as I bit my lip to keep from laughing.

Mathew fought from grinning himself, but I noticed it falter for a moment as he glanced down at my lips.

Longing flashed across his eyes as his lips fell apart. I wouldn't have recognized it if I didn't have the same burning desire in my stomach. The urge to press my lips against his own. To run my hand through his soft hair. It was all too much. I looked away, reminding myself to keep my breath steady. The last thing I needed was for father to catch a glimpse of what was going on between us.

I couldn't focus on the play, however, as I found myself acutely aware of the body heat radiating off of the person to my left. I was very aware of every movement he made. Every breath.

As much as I tried to distract myself, I found my senses being pulled toward each and every one of his.

He's my best friend, I smiled to myself.

I felt pride in knowing I owned the heart of the most eligible bachelor in the country, but not just because most families would do just about anything to introduce their daughters to him, and girls and women, alike, swooned in his presence. No. I knew the real boy behind the good looks, charming facade, and expensive tunics and crowns.

I knew that he always placed two bites of food into his mouth before chewing, that he would sneak into the kitchens downstairs and offer his assistance whenever he had the chance, that he would choose the smallest crown in the presence of his brother so as not to make him feel lesser than, that he would sweep his hand through his hair when he was thinking, and so much more.

I knew Prince Mathew in the 'in between' moments. The moments nobody saw or payed any attention to. Except me.

And even at a young age, I knew I was in love with him.

Nothing could ever come between us. I would never let it.

"Did you enjoy the play, my love?" Mother asked, standing next to Father.

Only then did I notice a hand extended before me and as I followed it up to it's owner I came face to face with a smirking Prince staring down at me.

"Lost in thought?" he chuckled, my parents following suit.

I let out a puff of air before taking his hand, ungracefully pulling myself up.

"I would pay good money to know what it was you were thinking," his breath tickled my neck just below my ear, and goosebumps rose in earnest.

"Not even you could afford that steep of a price," I blushed. 

He smiled wide, grabbing my hand and giving me a slight nudge to ensure my parents were out of earshot. They stepped through the curtain and out of the royal box, leaving us standing there alone.

"Perhaps you had something else in mind then?" he gave me a devilish smirk and my jaw dropped open.

He laughed undeterred and I attempted to step around him but he put a hand on my waist, pulling me against him.