Chapter 3: The Kitten

I sniff the air. The smell of recently chucked out meat reaches my nostrils. My mouth waters, making me walk over to the wonderful scent.

A hissing stops me. Looking around, I spot a calico kitten. A healthy tabby cat swipes at her. The tom raises his paw to strike again. "STOP!" I shout.

The cat turns. "I was treating the hybrid a lesson," he says with a smirk.

"She didn't choose to be a hybrid," I say, my tail swishing with anger.

"Are you a hybrid too?" the cat's face fills with joy at the idea of yet another victim.

Golden flames shoot out of my mouth as I speak, "what if I am?" 

His eyes widen, "then your road kill, ---" A foul curse word slips out of his mouth.

"HISS," I shout, "leave the kitten alone."

"NEVER!" He lunges and attacks me. Having the upper hand at being well nourished, he easily takes control of the battle and scratches everywhere. Each wound fires with pain as I finally back down and scramble away before I get hurt even worse. 

 Fearful thoughts echo through my head. Will he kill and drag her off? How could he? I wish the cats weren't so angered against us. 

I limp off to my home: a dumpster so old it's covered in rust and only specks green paint hasn't flaked off. 

A whimper. I freeze. Smelling the air, I look around. Somethings in my dumpster! I growl, "this is my home, find someplace else!"

"I-I-I'm sorry, I-I-I'll leave i-i-if you want," the voice is small, hesitant, and pleading. 

I wriggle my abdomen and spring. I land in the dumpster on a white bag full of smelly garbage. The wide eyed kitten is staring at me. "D-d-do I-I-I have to l-l-leave?" she asks.

"No."

"Th-th-thank y-y-you."

I respond by giving her a sharp glance. I settle down and start grooming my wounds. "Let me sleep, I've had a long day."