Chapter 29

Lilly stared at the flowers, studying their bright colors and petals. They were so delicate, just like she once was, only to be hardened by the real horrors of the world. She learned at a young age that not everything is happiness and bright colors. Once she had watched her parents leave and never come back, those once bright colors would fade, leaving her with only an older brother to keep her hopes and dreams alive. That's why he wanted a part of this garden to be dedicated to her, to show her that no matter how terrible things were, there would still be beauty.

Lilly caressed a bright yellow tulip, bringing her face to it and breathing in its scent. Tulips were once her mother's favorite flower, that being one of the only things Lilly remembered about the woman. Tears filled Lilly's eyes as she stared at the flower. Her mother died at such a young age. Lilly always wondered why she left her and David. She could've stayed, and maybe then she wouldn't have died. She'd then at least have a mother to give her advice when she needed it.

The more Lilly sat there, the angrier she got. Her mother and father both had two perfectly healthy, happy children at home, and they left anyways. Angry tears built up in Lilly's eyes, threatening to fall. Then she thought of David. Sweet, bubbly, bright David who was taken from her too soon. The thing is though, he didn't even fight. He just told Lilly goodbye, letting those angels that everyone mentioned take him away.

Lilly hated the idea of angels. If they were so great and protective, why did they let him die? Why did they let Justin die? Why did these "angels" enjoy seeing her in so much pain?

That's when the dam holding back the tears broke. They spilled over her cheeks, making tracks in the dirt and grime on Lilly's face. She stood up, kicking the flowers around the "Lilly" pond, ripping them from the ground as gross, angry, sobs spilling from her.

Why did these "angels" make her so spiteful? Why did they let her ruin every goddamned relationship she had? Lilly screamed profanities at the sky, cursing the "angels" for everything they put her through. She knew the noise would attract zombies, but that was the least of her worries at the moment. She fell to her knees, putting her face in her hands and letting the tears run off her face and into her hands.

Suddenly, she felt two strong arms pull her from the ground into a standing position. Lilly's eyes were screwed shut, tears still leaking out of them, pained whispers doing the same from her mouth. Two hands gripped Lilly's shoulders, shaking her slightly to get her attention.

"Lilly! Lilly are you okay? Are you bit?" Niall's voice filled Lilly's ears, relieving her. At least it wasn't Louis. Lilly opened her eyes, whispering out Niall's name before enveloping him into a hug.

Niall was taken aback slightly. He hadn't seen Lilly hug many people besides Louis and Harry, but he wrapped his arms around her, tightly, because she needed someone, and deep down, he did too.

"Hey, everyone's down there waiting for you. They're pretty worried. Even that new guy is worried. What's his name? Collin?" Lilly pulled away quickly, narrowing her eyes.

"Conner." His name tasting like poison on her tongue. He caused this pain she felt in her heart, the hole that her brother left, and she intended to make him pay.

Lilly darted past Niall, ignoring his shouts for her to stop. Her blind rage was her fuel, and she was going to go until she was running on fumes. She ran as fast as she could down the stairs to the entrance where everyone was. Her eyes locked on Connor like a predator's on its prey.

Shoving some of the others out of the way, she pounced on him, punching, scratching, screaming things that made Liam cover Perrie's ears. Connor lay there, taking all the hits. He knew he deserved this, but apparently the others didn't think so.