6

Elliot pulled his fist back and was trying so hard to punch her wife's father, but he couldn't do it. He didn't want to do anything that could lead him to not being with his family or something that would make Olivia hate him.

"Punch me! I dare you!" Frank boomed. Elliot swallowed hard before just pushing Frank harder against his vehicle.

"Get off my property. Do you hear me? Get." Elliot growled, before spitting in Frank's face. Elliot backed up and Frank went running at Elliot, but Elliot pulled his fist back again.

"I won't hold back again," Elliot warned, before watching Frank scramble to get into his car and back down the driveway. Elliot ran his fingers through his hair as he tried to calm himself down.

"El?" Olivia whispered.

"Liv, c' mere." Elliot breathed. Olivia quietly walked down the steps and to where her husband stood. She wrapped her arms tightly around his body and placed a few soft kisses to his chest.

"Thanks for not hitting him." She whispered.

"I'd never do that to you... but I need to go get some air. I'll be back later. In time for dinner." Elliot spoke, before kissing the top of Olivia's head.

"Okay. But please don't go into town. Stay on our property."

"I'm going back to the woods. I just need to clear my mind."

()()()

Elliot sat on a fallen tree as he tried to pray for answers. He wanted to know why all of a sudden he and his wife seemed to be getting punished. Elliot wanted to be the best father and husband as possible, but he was feeling like he was doing a horrible job. He was being tested, but he was feeling as if he was really failing.

"It's late," Olivia spoke quietly, as she stopped at the clearing and looked at her husband. She had a lantern in her hand as she kept her other hand in her jacket pocket.

"How late?" Elliot questioned, knowing that he promised his wife that he'd be home for dinner.

"Well, the boys are bathed and sleeping. Val came for dinner and is sitting with them until we get back." Olivia spoke. Elliot sighed before reaching his hand out to her.

"I'm sorry that I didn't make it home for dinner. I'll make it up to you." Elliot spoke.

"No, baby. Don't apologize. Clearly, you are out here searching for something. Did you find it?" Olivia questioned. She sat beside her husband before gently rubbing his leg.

"I've found nothing at all. Just a lot of random thoughts in my head." Elliot replied. He leaned forward and closed his eyes tightly as tears welled in them.

"What are you looking for, El? I may be able to help." 

"Why couldn't I hit your father? I wanted to break his face so badly for how he's been treating you. How he has been treating me!" Elliot exclaimed. A few birds flew out from the trees and Olivia shook a bit.

"You are an amazing man, Elliot. You take care of me and our sons. You are going to be extremely protective of this little girl. You know that deep down and on the surface that you are a good guy. You know not to sink down to my father's level. He wants you to prove his point and be a bad guy when you cannot do that at all. You are too good to be bad. So, keep resisting. And please, come home. I need you to hold me." Olivia spoke quietly. Elliot looked over at her before swallowing hard.

"I think that I'm going to stay out here tonight. Try and see if a little more prayer will help." Elliot whispered. Olivia ran her fingers through the short hair at the top of his neck before nodding.

"Alright, sounds good. I'll get the coffee pot ready for your coffee in the morning. Do you want a blanket or something?" Olivia questioned.

"Do you have one?" Elliot mused.

"I drove the truck back here. I have like six horse blankets in the backseat." Olivia smiled softly.

"Bring all six."

()()()

Olivia made breakfast the next morning and decided to take it out to Elliot. She bundled up her boys before driving out to the woods in Elliot's old pickup truck. She parked before getting out and helping the boys out. She grabbed the basket and then they started towards where Elliot had set up camp the night before.

"Why did Daddy sleep out here?" Aaron asked, as he held Ben's hand and kept him steady as they stepped over branches and holes.

"Daddy needed to clear his mind, lovey. So he came out here to speak to God and to figure out what is truly happening in his head and heart." Olivia explained.

"Why?" Ben questioned, even though he didn't understand what his mother had said.

"You two are very curious, but my sweet little babies, everything is okay. Daddy will be sleeping at home tonight." Olivia smiled softly. She slowly the boys down and moved ahead of them before sitting the basket down beside her husband's body. She caressed his cheek until he woke up and smiled at him.

"I bet you are starving and in need of some coffee." Olivia smiled softly.

"What are you doing out here, Liv? It's freezing and you should be getting sleep while the boys are still passed out." Elliot spoke. Olivia shook her head before sitting down and her boys quickly ran from where they had stopped on the edge of the clearing.

"We are eating breakfast with you, Daddy! Momma made french toast sandwiches!" Aaron exclaimed, before jumping onto his father. Ben followed suit and the boys started to wrestle with their father as Olivia started to spread out breakfast. Once the boys smelt breakfast, they sat down and started to eat while Olivia poured coffee from the thermos and into the small cup.

"So?" Olivia asked as she handed her husband his first sandwich.

"So what?" Elliot replied as he warmed his hands up with the coffee.

"How are you doing this morning?" Olivia questioned quietly.

"I'm freezing and sore, but I feel more at ease. Like I know that your father can't get to me because I have my strength and your strength." Elliot spoke. Olivia smiled before leaning close and kissing Elliot's cheek.

"Good. So you better sleep in the house tonight because it's so weird waking up to your side of the bed being empty."

Hey guys! Thanks for reading and please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D