02

"I think I realised that!"

★彡A few years later, One was almost a teenager

★彡
A few years later, One was almost a teenager. Finally educated and slightly insane from the loneliness, One attempted to escape almost every day, failing every time when the large monster would appear and chase her, as if it wanted her to stay. One wanted to try one more time. She was underwater, where the monster probably could not go, holding her breath as she clenched her fists in focus. After over a hundred tries, One was successful.
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ
"Fuck yes!" She yelled, climbing out of the water and into the woods, spotting a corner shop and deciding to head its way.

The first three days back in this dimension were thoroughly planned out, from what clothes to buy to excuses about her current outfit. Joyce slumped behind the counter, half asleep and she did not notice the girl as she creeped towards the clothes section. Grabbing a few pairs of jeans, some plain tops, three hoodies, and some other essentials, One collected what she had planned to steal. She also took food, a hairbrush, a toothbrush and toothpaste.
One entered the changing room and climbed out of the window, running away with her bag full of everything she owned on her back.
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ
Apparently, it was the first day of school (according to a group of friends on bikes that she eavesdropped on) ,so One changed into a pair of baggy jeans, a Madonna T-shirt and a grey hoodie. Walking towards the middle school, she came up with a random backstory and remembered the name her mother called her once by accident, then being scolded by Brenner for making her seem like an ordinary child. Children chatted all round her, and she felt a bit left out, but was determined to find her first friends.
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ
"Hello, you must be new!" The lady at the office said cheerfully, breaking One out of her trance, "What is your name?"

"Charlotte Brenner." One replied, giving a sarcastic smile back.

"Please fill in this form, then go to the teacher across from the age group on the-"

"I think I realised that!" Charlotte interrupted, irritated already.

The teacher looked offended, which made it hard for Charlotte not to burst out laughing.

"Sorry not sorry, old hag." She continued, waving and disappearing down another corridor before the lady could reply.

All of the classrooms on that hallway had eight-year-olds, so she ran down the following corridor as fast as she could, not wanting to be late and draw too much attention. The door she almost fell into read 'Mr Clarke' and that was who the form said he'd age should go to for science first period, daily. She took a deep breath and reached for the door handle at the same time as another hand. The two ended up holding hands, but let go immediately and became embarrassed.

"I'm Max, who are you?" A red-haired girl with a vibe that told Charlotte that she was new as well.

"Charlotte Brenner, I'm new here and would like it if-"

Before Charlotte could ask to sit with her at lunch and maybe hang out after school, the door swung open and the pair reluctantly walked in.

sorry for such a short chapter, I was trying (and failing lmao) to be dramatic