03

"If you're shit then Madonna's shit!"

★彡"Ah, these must be our new students!" Mr Clarke exclaimed, with too much enthusiasm for a teacher

★彡
"Ah, these must be our new students!" Mr Clarke exclaimed, with too much enthusiasm for a teacher.

Max and Charlotte were quick to sit down, Max avoiding an introduction and Charlotte following her like a lost puppy.

"All right. Hold up. You don't get away that easy!" Mr Clarke said, earning two identical eye rolls, "Come on up, don't be shy. Dustin, drum roll."

A boy with curly hair and a goofy smile began to drum roll, as the teacher introduced Max. Charlotte zoned out until he called out her name, and she smiled slightly, not wanting to seem too rude, incase nobody wanted to be her friend. Taking a seat half way in between Max and the drum roll kid ,Charlotte got out her pencil case and notebook, ready to have her first ever real lesson: it was one of the most exciting moments in her life. A group of boys including the one who did the drum roll before kept on glancing at Charlotte and Max, whispering and staring about two main things: Max must be Madmax and Charlotte clearly had an 001 tattoo on her wrist just like El did. Charlotte noticed this, yet didn't react because she thought they were talking about her eavesdropping on their conversation before, and therefore thought that she was weird.

While the boys from before stalked behind a fence, Max and Charlotte were chatting, Max on her skateboard and Charlotte hovering behind her.

"Um, what's your name again, you forget to mention it at lunch and I barely heard it before?" Max asked, trying to start a conversation and maybe get at least one friend.

"Charlotte, but call me by my awful full name and face the consequences." Charlotte informed her, attempting to sound normal, "You're pretty good at skating."

"Pretty good!" "I'm shit!"

"No way, if you're shit then Madonna's shit!"

Charlotte had stolen a few tapes of Madonna from her mother when she came to visit, and instantly loved them.

"You like Madonna; you are my new best friend!"

"I wasn't already?"

The two laughed and chatted for the whole break. Charlotte was beginning to feel true happiness and belonging for the first time in her life, and it felt amazing. It all ended when Charlotte spotted the stalkers watching them. However, Max had a plan.
She rummaged through her bag to find paper and a pen, wrote a message and showed it to her new friend for approval. Charlotte smiled and gave a thumbs up and finger guns, which she had learnt from a random person she walked past a minute ago.
While Max went to leave the note and return to her, Charlotte scanned the area for anybody she recognised from the lab, anxious of being captured.

"Okay, they're opening the note Charlie!" Max yelled, distracting her from the sad thought of being taken away again.

Charlotte loved the new nickname. Charlie. A nickname felt like it gave her humanity, as she had never had one even though most children her age did, according to her mother's taunts.

"Holy shit, look at their faces!" Both girls exclaimed at the same time, enjoying the karma they gave to the boys.

"Honestly, if they want to speak to us, why don't they?" Max laughed, turning to face her friend.

"If I were them, I would ask to marry you!" Charlotte replied, giddy enough to take the joke too far, almost giving away the feelings she was developing already.

Max gave her a confused look, not finding it that funny, then changed the conversation, deciding to think about it later.