Extra ( ̄∇ ̄)

Devon's POV

Graduation Day

Ever since that accident, I have gotten back small, minuscule memories that I've lost. They were mostly with Haylee, which is a good thing, but I never told her. When we made eye contact, I remembered that we had weird staring contests almost. I didn't understand why that was so important. I kept the scrunchy because it held importance to me before and to Haylee. She wore my hoodie and I never asked for it back because she loved it. So yes, I've felt a connection to her but I couldn't figure it out.

So when she walks down the hallways in her cap and gown, I feel a flutter in my stomach. Veronica struts up to me and starts flirting...badly. Haylee's friends talk to her, but she just stares at me. I can feel her eyes lingering on me.

The ceremony goes on, I go to dinner with Mom and Veronica somehow manages to weasel her way in too. Josh comes along for moral support. As soon as dinner is over and Veronica leaves, we're all extremely happy. Mom didn't like her, Josh didn't like her, and I definitely didn't like her. She's annoying.

However, that changed somewhere between now, and seven years later because I'm now 25 and she's my girlfriend of 4 or 5 years. Now, the wrist that wore a purple and white mandala scrunchy is now gone and replaced with an ugly yellow one. That's all it is, though. Just. Yellow. Haylee's scrunchy is still in my nightstand's drawer. I miss her. Veronica's boring.

So that's why it's a weird surprise to see her in front of my door to my apartment. Suddenly, I realize that I don't know her anymore. I just feel a connection and that's all. Veronica has told me rumors about what she's done, but I know Haylee would never do that. I just nod and say "mhm" a lot so that she believes I believe her. Sometimes I say an "I hate you" to Haylee because I know what Veronica's capable of. Josh has told me she wouldn't do anything to hurt someone unless they've hurt someone she cares about. Veronica would hurt her if I didn't go along with what she said.

"What are you doing here?" I'm surprised at the hostility in my voice and can see her flinch slightly.

"We need to talk," she says confidently.

"There's nothing to talk about." I have to play it off like I hate her. I can't let Veronica hurt her in any way. She has eyes and ears on me at all times. In college, I had talked to a girl and I genuinely liked her. I would've made her my girlfriend had Veronica not almost kill her by pushing her off of the roof. Talk about a crazy woman. (Again, cliché but eh, what are you gonna do?)

"Actually, there is." Her eyes are determined and as I look into them, I see that there's pain behind the facade of confidence. I relax, knowing that she still loves me, even though I don't. I think.

"Fine." I let her in and she sits on the couch. "Talk."

"I don't know what Veronica has told you, but it's not true. I was dumped by her. She abandoned me. I haven't talked to her since 7th grade. Now, I know you don't remember me after the accident, but how you hate me when you loved me before?" My eyes widen, taken by surprise at the sudden rant.

"You're right. I don't remember what happened before the accident. But I remember the after. I remember Veronica being there for me. She's always been there for me. I've moved on. It's time for you to too."

"So this promise ring means nothing to you?!" As she holds out her hand and flashes the ring, I see a memory in my mind. From the time when I was working for the ring to the accident. Suddenly, my head aches and black lines the edges of my vision. I hold my head, trying to take the pain away.