Chapter 4: Stop And Breathe

1 Week later......

Audrey sat beside his bed, holding his hand. Since she got the news that they had to put him into a medically induced coma because of the swelling in his brain, She just held her breath and prayed that he would pull through. She had work that day but she didn't have sleep, she hadn't eaten and she couldn't leave him.

Claire, Shaun and Andrews walked in, "Good morning Dr. Lim"

Audrey turned to them, "Hi guys" 

Everyone could hear the sadness, fear and exhaustion in her voice. they had never seen their boss like that in their time they have known her.

Claire rubbed her back, "Dr.Lim, maybe you should get some sleep, get some coffee"

Audrey shrugged Claire's hand off her back, "No, No, I'm not leaving his bedside till he wakes up"

Andrews was next to speak, "Dr. Lim, you need to work as well"

She turned her head, "What did you just say"

Claire lowered her head knowing what was coming next, "You shouldn't have said that"

Audrey stood up and walked towards Andrews slowly, "Do you think, that I'm gonna work when the love of my life is laying here in a medically induced coma"

Andrews crossed his arms, "Working may help you with the stress"

Audrey had her hand in a fist, "Marcus I swear to-"

" Audrey, I swear you need to sleep," Isabelle said and as ran into the room.

Audrey sighed and closed her eyes, "Isabelle, you're here"

She smiled at Audrey and rubbed her back, "I'm here for you and Neil, no matter what"

Audrey nodded and burst into tears, Isabelle instantly grabbed her. The others just stood there, not knowing what to do. Once Audrey let go of Isabelle, she dried her eyes, "Thank you, Isabelle, for everything, really"

Isabelle grinned, "No need to thank me, I'm just here for a friend and if my husband is being a pain in the ass just tell me and I'll fix him for you"

Audrey laughed, for the first time in weeks she actually laughed, "Thank you, I really needed that"

Isabelle giggled, "You guys can leave, I'd like to talk to Audrey alone please"

"Actually, I was here to tell Dr. Lim to get back to work because we are taking Neil out of his Coma and it's gonna take time," Andrews said.

Audrey gasped and tears welled in her eyes, "You're serious right"

Andrews smiled, "yes I am"

Audrey smiled, "I'd like to stay, please I want to see him when he wakes up"

Andrews nodded, "Sure thing"

Andrews, claire and Alex got to work on stopping his medication to wake him up. Audrey sat by his bedside the whole time.

"you know how long these things take Audrey," Claire stated before leaving.

"I know" She whispered

Audrey sat there for 29 hours, Neil didn't wake up yet, but she was waiting. She sat curled up beside his bed reading her Comic book because she really couldn't focus on work at all. sometimes she would stop and stare at Neil and smile. she would think about his smile and his laugh, she really couldn't understand why this happened to him, it had been a week but still, everything seemed so raw and there. there were days where Audrey was strong and then there were days where she broke down and cried a lot. but she tried to remember that he wasn't gone for good and he was going to wake up eventually.

It had officially passed 38 hours, at 12:45 AM, Audrey was still wide awake and not gonna sleep anytime soon.

Claire stopped bt before she left, "Good night Dr.Lim, And good night Dr.Melendez, I hope to see you awake soon"

Audrey smiled at claire, "So do I, I miss him, a lot, Good night claire"

She nodded and left the room, Audrey got back to her reading. she slowly felt her eyes getting tired so she set her comic book on the bedside table and curled up on the chair. she felt herself slowly slip into sleep.

"Audrey..." A raspy voice said.

Audrey's eyes shot open, "Neil?"

TBC