Chapter 24: Explanation Debt

My emotions deep inside of me are conflicting as to which should dominate me. Right now, it's a big, jumbled mess of fear, somewhat happiness, confusion, and desire. The last option is a desire for options. Throughout those three years of torture, I never got any of the answers I was longing for in regards to Colin or his family.

Standing in front of me was someone who was probably like a textbook, which could help me in figuring out the extremely difficult exam of Colin. However, despite that longing desire, fear tried to fence his way into the conflict as well. Standing in front of me was the brother of the man who treated me like scum, abused me, and ruined me for three years. To say that he was the complete opposite of his brother was no guarantee.

My brother always taught me not to judge, but I can't help but already hold a small grudge against him. He is a Mitchell. He is Colin's other half. He could possibly be the other half that was needed to complete the puzzle of sadism and abuse. However, to complicate this messy conflict even more, happiness somehow dragged itself in the situation as well.

Ash is one of those few miracle people, other than Mark, throughout my marriage who had actually treated me with kindness. He made me feel like I was worth it every time he was around, which was a rarity considering Colin's animosity towards him.

Despite his numbered appearances because of Colin's bitterness towards him, he never failed to be a good person. And to add the cherry on top of this very weird sundae, confusion decided to drop by and say, "hello," in the midst of this battle.

Why was Ash here, out of all places? His dad is loaded, so he should've gotten a job at his dad's company. I know their contact is probably limited as well, but why here? Considering he was born into money, it's kind of a shock that he works in Dom's place. While the emotions continue to squabble, I remain standing there, with my mouth hanging open, staring at Ash.

"I can't believe you're here. It's been so long. You look great, by the way. How are you doing?" he asks gently. At this point, I'm more than mortified still. My heart is doing the salsa inside of my chest, and I'm sure everyone can hear it dancing around inside my rib cage.

I close my mouth from its hanging position, and gulp another huge lump back. "I-I'm doing fine, Ash. T-thanks," I stammer. I feel like my breathing is becoming more uneven and jagged. Sweat starts to bead my forehead, while my brain struggles to form certain words to convey to Ash.

What am I supposed to say? "Hey, Ash! Yeah, you're the brother of the guy who forced me away from my family, beat me, took advantage of me, and caused my panic attacks and PTSD! Yeah, you're totally cool!" While I'm staring at him, dumbfounded, Ash looks a little bit confused.

"Are you okay? You seem a little bit scared," he asks. I do nothing more than croak a little bit more, as my brain scrambles to formulate an answer for him.

"Nicole? You've been taking a while. Is everything okay?" Dom's voice inquires behind me. He comes to my side, and takes a good look at Ash. "Ah, I see you met Ash. Yeah, he's cool. He's one of my closest friends here. We've worked together when he had to convey the marketing statuses. But, why do you look like you're facing the Grim Reaper at this point?"

I turn to face my brother. Finally, my brain decides to function again, and it forms a response for Dom. I gulp, knowing that Dom's not going to take the news of Ash and I's relationship well. "Dom, Ash is my brother in law. He's my husband's brother," I squeak, as the guilt in Ash's face starts to intensify.

Dom gasps a little bit, with his eyes widening to the size of saucers. He turns to face Ash again, this time, with the flame of anger intensifying in Dom's eyes. His face goes from mildly concerned to overly homicidal.