Rooftops

Have you ever had one of those days when you feel everything is just going your way? This was one of those days.

I get Bernard and call the lift. I keep telling Bern that it'll be okay and he'll get to go inside the house in an hour, tops.

The lift opens up and I get in. I press the 8th floor button and the lift starts moving. I pray that the lift doesn't stop while going up. I pray and pray. That didn't work coz' the lift stopped on the 7th floor and my palms get sweaty. My heart races and my legs go numb.

It's her. Her hair in these messed up buns. HOLY SHIT.

'Coincidence?' She asks
'Call it what you want. I don't mind it.'
'Sure you don't.
And how's Bernie?' She says pointing to this dog and ignoring me.

Bernie's cool. I mean , he's a dog so I don't think he'll be sad or anything.

'He's cool. Why are we going to the roof?' I said.
'Lets not lie to each other. I like you. And I don't know about you but I wanted to talk to you more.'

Her saying that felt like she was reading my mind. Gosh. Why couldn't I have met her before?

'I was about to say the same thing. Trust me , you aren't coming back until midnight.' I said in reflex.
'I don't mind' She laughed.
'Sure you don't' I reply , imitating her.
She laughs again.

Her laugh. Her voice. I'm pretty sure this was borderline obsession.

We reach the roof. The lift opens up and she gets put first. She said that she didn't know where the roof was exactly.
I told her it's locked all the time but that I knew how to break the lock. We come to the roof entrance. I get down on my knees and take out my pocket knife.

'Knife and all huh?' She mocked.
'Don't disturb me. This needs concentration. So turn around.'
'Why?'
'Your face. It distracts me.' I told her cheerfully.
'Aww. I like you more already.' She said. I laughed.

One final click and the door pops open.
'This is gonna be one hell of a night.' I hold her hand and take her in.

We come in and realize how cold it is. She was smart enough to wear a hoodie and then there's me. Shivering. She sees this and laughs. I don't know why but I started laughing with her. Wow.

'Why are you laughing?' She asks.
'Why are you laughing huh? I retort
'Honestly , I don't even know' she laughed even harder.

I take her to the edge of the terrace. I've been here a couple times over the past few years. I used to come up here and cry my face off. This was supposed to be my secret. I'd always come up here alone but tonight that changed.

'Here. I've got some chairs.' I say.
'Oh cool. I've got speakers and Ice cream. Strawberry.' She winks on the last word.

She looked so cute saying that.

She plays an Ed Sheeran song. It's this like really fast and upbeat rap song. I liked it and so I asked her which song it was.

'Wow.Sick beat.'

'It's called "Don't". Heard it before?' She asks.

'Nope.It's pretty good.Hey listen.'

'Yea?'

'Let's play the question game.' I ask her.

'What's that?'  She chuckles.

'It's a game I made up. I play it on all my first dates.' I wink.