My Rainy Day

Mikayla's POV

Mornings are never really my cup of coffee. The mere sound of the birds chirping and the aroma from my mom's cooking are enough to brighten my day.

         The sound of my buzzing alarm disturbs my peaceful slumber. I awaken and check the time only to see that it's 07:30. I hop into the shower.

         I turn on the hot water and it is enough to put me into a state of alertness. After 20 minutes, I am done and step out of the shower.

        I put on my favourite outfit which simply consists of my grey baggy sweatpants and a blue T-shirt from my favourite band One Direction that I got at a concert last year.

        I walk up to my mirror and put my soft curly hair into a French braid. My black hair has always been easy to handle despite the fact that I'm part African and part American.

        I find my worn-out converse and put them on. I've never really been too keen on make-up. So I don't like the way it makes people look. I think that it's just a waste of time.

        So I just apply a little lip gloss. I pick my glasses from my bedside table and put them on. I take one last glance in the mirror and head downstairs

         I find my mom scolding my three year old brother Tommie for refusing to eat his porridge because it doesn't have enough raisins.

         He keeps pushing his food away and making a mess of his clothes. My mother, Abigail Davis, has always been a hard working woman. She is the proud owner of a small restaurant called Viva la Cuišine.

          It is a tiny restaurant that she started with my father, Elijah Davis. They run an Italian based diner despite the fact that my father is South American and my mother is African.

         My mother turns to me and says, "Good Morning, Mikayla", I smile at her, "Hey, mum".

         My mother informs that she has made pancakes and puts two pancakes on a plate for me. "Thank you mum" I say back.

          I look at the time and it's 8 o'clock. I hurriedly eat my pancakes and grab my school bag from the couch. And call out to my younger sister, Ria, "Hurry up, we're going to be late".

          Ria comes running down the stairs while struggling to put on her shoes. She is sporting her signature jean shorts, off-shoulder tee and stilletos.

          She is not a Morning person so she's usually late. She was born five months after me.

          She grabs a cup of vanilla yoghurt and we head to school. The walk to school usually takes about twenty to twenty-five minites.

          We reach the school and head to our respective lockers. Which are by the way just close to each other.

         We meet our bestfriend, Heather Woods, by her locker . Heather is wearing her black skinny jeans, a white hoodie and white converse.

          "Hey Heather, how you doing?", I smile at her. "Hi Mikayla, I'm okay thanks", she faces us "Hi Ria, how are you?"

          "I'm good too" Ria adds as she gets her books from her locker.

           I turn to get my English and Biology books from my locker. Paris Hills, our other Best Friend, approaches us in her Blue sun-dress and white stilettos.

          "Hey guys", she greets us, "I'm sorry I couldn't pick you up, I woke up a little too late and I got stuck in traffic". We all let her know that it's okay.

          We wait as she collects her books and prepare for first period. Paris and I head to our first class which is English and say Bye to Ria and Heather who have Science together.