Chapter 8

Amber's voice still felt like it was gone.

She could only watch as the strange man raised his staff of fire he had created, a cloak with the colour of blood surrounding him.

Amber could sense the feeling of immense hatred and anger flowing from him. It scared her. Her head still spun from the strange experience and she wished she could melt into the ground. Watching the man, Amber just wanted to disappear forever.

Oliver's eyes widened but he didn't apologize or beg for mercy. Not that Amber expected him to, the guy was just way too proud.

Amber tried once again in vain to struggle to her feet. A weight pushed down on her back, keeping her on the ground.

She looked up as a sudden flashing light shone from above her. Mina let out a choking gasp next to her. Oliver's face was ashen. Noah was turned away, but Amber expected he was the same.

A young girl, about their age, appeared beside the strange man. She had long brunette hair, obsidian eyes and a slim frame. She was surrounded by a glow of light, almost like it was emitting from her body.

It was almost like she had emerged from thin air. Amber took a good look at her and noted that a steadily fading trail of light connected her to the man's fire. The trail disappeared and Amber realized the light had brought her there.

“Sir, we've confirmed it. These are the Chosen Ones.” the newcomer said.

The man turned to Amber and her friends skeptically. “Seriously? These scrawny kids?”

The girl took a deep breath. “You hand picked them yourself. Obviously you recognize your own daughter?”

Amber was shocked. What was she talking about? A daughter? She was actually just as surprised the man had even gotten a wife, though, much less a daughter.

She looked closer at the girl and a wave of surprise slipped through her. This was the same girl who had been there when she had been captured!

Amber felt slightly guilty for not telling her friends that the Element Users had seen her- and caught her-but it wasn't all that important anymore. They had bigger things to worry about. Plus, she hadn't said anything to the enemy about them.

Just to be safe, Amber ducked her head so the girl wouldn't notice her.

The man looked closely at Amber and Mina. “Oh, yes.” he murmured, suddenly calm. The cloak of flames died down around him as the man walked over to them.

Amber's eyes widened in fear. She half-expected him to burst into flames again and kill them all.

What he said surprised her more, though.

“It's been so long. Hello again, Mina.”

***

Amber knew Mina didn't have many memories of her parents.

They had always been at work during the day, and when they got back, she was usually asleep. Her aunt had never had the chance to have children. She was infertile from the start, so she took care of Mina most times.

A tragedy had happened when Mina was young and her parents had been killed in a house fire.

Amber glanced at Mina. The man had invited them into his hideout and her friend was sitting stone-faced on one of his surprisingly luxurious couches. Amber sat on the other one.

“This is one fancy hideout,” Oliver murmured, sitting beside Amber. He seemed reluctant to settle down. Amber felt the same way.

Noah lingered around the door, like he was ready to make a run for it if he needed to.

Mina's supposed dad stuck his head in. The hat was gone now and Amber could see that his eye was a bright hazel.

“Settle in, kids. I'll be right back,” he chuckled. One half of his face was still bandaged, so his smile looked slightly distorted. Lines of age covered his face, making it seem like he was too old to a father. He disappeared out the door and everything went silent.

Oliver twitched beside Amber, frowning slightly. Even Noah, who was often composed, looked agitated.

“Well,” Amber murmured. “I guess we have nothing else to do. We'll just have to wait here until we know more.”

No one responded. Amber hadn't really expected an answer anyway. They were all too pumped up. Noah gasped suddenly, bringing everyone to their feet. Amber ran to the door and leaned out. Noah pulled her back immediately, holding a finger to his lips.

Amber listened, her eyes widening.

“They must be eliminated.”

“All four of them, sir?”

“Yes. We can't rick them leaking our plans.”

“They're just kids!”

“Are you an Element User, Ella?”

“Y-yes!”

“Then you should know, kids don't matter. We are forever. Now, tonight, I want them gone.”

“Y-yes, sir.”