32. Don't Look Back

Zadia had spent years fighting the pollution problems that arose largely from the City's crushingly large population density, but today, the crowds were going to be her savior.

Xavier might know her approximate location from the tiny metal device in her neck, but he wouldn't be able to get to her if she stayed well-hidden. Getting out of the Base Level wasn't a problem: Down here, no one checked ID or authorization papers on elevators.

Harrison wouldn't tell Zadia where they were going. Fine by her, since if he told her, he'd also be telling Xavier-- and by extension, one-half of the superhero organizations currently pursuing them. 

After buying some fish jerky from a vendor to restore their energy, they wove through crowds, trying to blend in. Both wore cheap face-masks and had hidden their weapons as much as possible. 

Occassionally, Zadia saw members of the S.S.S. in the crowd, dressed as ordinary civs and asking about a trio of supers. Her stomach lurched each time. She tried to keep a thin illusion over Harrison and herself, changing around their facial characteristics and skin tones.

They boarded a skytrain amidst a flurry of people, along with-- Zadia counted-- at least three S.S.S. agents that she could recognize. She pressed damp palms against her mesh pants. From the tracker, they must know exactly where she was. Her heart raced. The illusions seemed to hold, but how long until she made a mistake?

If Harrison noticed the S.S.S. members, he didn't let on. Zadia followed his lead and tried to keep her gaze fixed forward, staring blankly out the skytrain's windows, keeping her mind laser-focused on the illusions. Sweat trickled down her forehead from the effort and the humidity. She desperately wanted to wipe it away, but moving at all right now could make the illusions waver. 

With a shock, she realized that she recognized two of the agents especially-- the tall, curly-haired girl and scarred, peach-skinned boy who she'd talked to while pretending to be Xavier. The girl was scanning the crowd, the murderous glare on her face apparent even through her face-mask, hand resting easily against the polished gun at her hip. The boy's eyes darted back and forth around the train, a thin layer of sweat gleaming on his pink forehead. His face-mask covered most of the scars webbing his face.

Zadia dropped her gaze quickly. How many of the agents here, she wondered, were part of the Secret Super Society, and how many a part of the Anti-Super Association? 

The skytrain glided to its last stop. Zadia looked up at Harrison. He was leaning heavily against the handrail, bruises patching his skin even through the illusion that made his skin appear several shades darker.

When the doors slid open, they moved towards the exit, jostling through the crowds around them. Zadia didn't dare look back to see who was following.

Exhausted, sweat tickling her skin, she struggled to keep up the illusions. Why hadn't they bought more food? She'd kill even for some of the nutritional algae rations at the EPA. She pressed her arms down against her sides, willing them to stop shaking.

Harrison started walking faster. Damn it. Zadia lengthened her stride, trying to keep up with him while keeping their illusions in place. 

Then she saw why he'd picked up the speed: A NewsNet holo on the side of the street was projecting her, Kara's, and Harrison's likenesses for everyone to see. Her blood froze. 

". . . highly armed and dangerous. Anyone who offers information of these supervillains will be rewarded," a smooth NewsNet voice proclaimed. 

Thankfully, everyone around them seemed too occupied with their personal affairs to notice Zadia and Harrison even if they hadn't been wearing illusions.