Chapter 20 - Food.

We walked the short journey to the school gates. The whole way Jamie was rattling on about his ideas for events everyone could take part in: "Ooh! I know! We could do a really big game of hide and seek around the school! Or we could all play sleeping lions! I like that game." I thought some of his ideas were really quite good like do a talent show but I can't really imagine myself laying on the floor with my eyes shut playing sleeping lions...

By the time we reached the school, there was a steady flow of people walking in. There were teenagers and some of the older teens walking through the gates. I didn't see many of the younger children which I thought was odd. Jamie and I walked through the gates and into the school heading straight to the cafeteria. As we got closer there were people standing on the corners or sat on the benches against the wall.  It looked almost like the school should on a normal day except everyone was in non-uniform and there were absolutely no adults.

Jamie and I came to a stop outside of the cafeteria doors to hear a lot of screaming and giggling coming from inside. Slightly confused, I opened the doors to see the majority of the younger kids running around inside. All of the tables and chairs had been stacked against the wall and the children ran up and down the cafeteria playing what looked like bulldog. Standing behind the kitchen hatch was Tom, laughing with his head thrown back and his hands resting on the counter. He hadn't noticed that I had walked in so he was still watching and laughing at the kids playing bulldog.

I decided to be sneaky and creep around the perimeter of the cafeteria. I'm quite short so I didn't stick out too much. I left Jamie to join in the game and quickly edged my way to the edge of the kitchen hatch. I crouched down and crawled to where I hoped was in front of Tom. I watched for a second, waiting for him to stop laughing, the children looked like they were having so much fun. So carefree and innocent. But I have no idea how anyone can call the racket they were making innocent!

When Tom finally stopped cackling, I crouched onto my heels and prepared to jump. I waited a few seconds and sprung up in front of him scaring the living daylights out of him. His reaction was priceless. I quite literally jumped back two feet and shouted so loud that all of the kids in the hall stopped to look what was going on. I didn't really take much notice because I was clutching my chest and knelt on the floor, breathless from laughing so hard.

I have to admit, that was probably one of the funniest memories I've ever had, even now. I can remember how good it felt to just laugh at something that was genuinely funny and not one of those fake, polite laughs that you do just to make it look like you're not socially awkward at all. That's how you know when you've found a great friend. You're able to laugh your hardest and live the fullest. That's how I knew that Darcy and I were best friends and that's also how I knew that Tom was a keeper. The fact that he could have such a good reaction and embarrass himself but still joke about it makes him one of my favourite types of people.

After I had calmed down and Tom had recovered from shock and then a laughing fit, we got everyone in the hall and started to move the tables. We decided not to go with the uniform rows they were in before, we decided to put them into groups so that families and groups of friends could meet here for meals and in their own time. It would make the environment of the old cafeteria so much more comfortable.

Darcy arrived with Sam as soon as we had finished with the tables. As they walked through the door, I noticed Sam drop Darcy's hand. I caught her eye and have her the look. You know, the raised eyebrows, smug look you give someone as if to say 'aayy I saw that'. As I looked away, there was a large group of girls that had congregated in front of me. A short, blonde haired girl with a monochrome outfit stepped forward and said "Hi um Scarlett. We were just wondering-" She gestured to the group gathered behind her. "We were wondering if it would be possible if we could take charge of the kitchens. You know like breakfast, lunch and dinner. Maybe serve drinks in between." The group behind her all nodded their heads in unison as she finished her point. "We'll even wash up!" Piped up a girl of around nine with dark pigtails. I looked around at their expecting faces, how could I say no? We needed someone to take charge of the kitchen anyway.

"Yeah sure! We need someone who knows how to cook. I'm not sure everyone would be too happy with fish and chips every night for dinner." I said laughing as they scampered away to the kitchens shouting "Thank you!", over their shoulders. From that point all I heard from the kitchens was clattering and banging as the girls made breakfast for everyone. I have to admit, they were pretty good cooks because they made sausages, scrambled egg and toast for everyone. Food is one of the main problems with having no adults. We don't know how to get it or where to get it from. One of the older boys came up to me to tell me how much dry food we had and he said and I quote "We have enough for a few months. I suggest that we start farming. We can grow fruit and vegetables in the greenhouses. I'm part of the gardening club at school so I think I know how to mimic foreign temperatures." All I could think were two things. One: Wow this kid had no life before this. Two: Wow. This kid is a genius and just saved our lives.

It is such a good thing that the  base was provided with wind turbines, allotments and greenhouses to promote self-sufficiency. I just think myself lucky that I live in such a close community that is kind of isolated from the rest of the world. I mean, if I didn't have these other kids, Jamie and I probably wouldn't survive too long on our own. That is one thing I am so grateful to my community for. Saving my life.

Later that day, I called a meeting with all of the teenagers to start giving people roles to do. I stood at the front of the assembly hall with all of my peer's faces looking up at me once more. "Ok. I called this meeting to make sure that everyone takes part in something to help keep this community going. We already have our cooks-" I pointed to huddle of girls in the far corner of the hall who all waved as everyone turned to look. "and we have our police and guards. We need other people to help. We need carers for the younger children to make sure that they all get to meal times, we need people to be engineers to fix things that go wrong. Most importantly, we need farmers. We need people who know how to garden so we can keep food stocks up. Julien-" I pointed to the boy who told me about the food stocks, "has told me that we only have enough dry food to last a few months. I making enough food means that everyone has to help, then so be it. We still need some main farmers who know what they're doing though." I finished my little speech and looked to Darcy who stepped forward with some paper. "Right. Here are some sheets of paper with all of the occupations on it. There are only a few spots on each job so if what you want to do goes, you'll have to choose something else. It doesn't matter what, we just need everyone's help."

With that being said, Darcy walked around the hall laying out the paper and some pens on some tables already set up. She made her way back to the stage and I had an idea that I thought would be helpful to the food supply. "Before you all go and choose a job!" I started speaking loudly as people started to move. "Could everyone go home and clear out any food they have in their cupboards and fridges? We need all the food we can get. I'm going to get some people together and we'll clear out the spare houses so that should give us a little more food. Ok off you go!" I said cheerily thinking that my idea what a brilliant one. The others all gathered around in a circle in the centre of the stage. "Good call about the food. That should keep us going for a bit longer." Sam said patting me on the shoulder.

"Thanks. I just thought about it. How's the guard duty going?" I asked wanting an update. "Well, there hasn't been any disturbances around the perimeter yet. But I wouldn't want to be too relaxed about it. A group from the city could come and try to take over at any minute." He said seeming tense. Sam always was the one to get into trouble for 'protecting the community' with water pistols and eggs but I guess you have to help in some way even if it isn't the right one.