Keeping in touch

It was a Sunday afternoon. May squinted at her phone screen and looked up at the cafe in front of her. Once she was certain, she placed her phone in her bag and entered the cafe.

A soft chiming of ball broke through the silence of the cafe. Her eyes swept around the cafe and rested on a familiar brunette. She walked past a tired-looking cashier and sat across the only other customer in the cafe.

"Hey stranger, long time no see." She greeted. Her friend returned it with a glare. "My memory seem to call me today. I don't  remember having an idiot for a friend." Emi replied.

"Why are you so angry? Did I forget your birthday again?" May said, panicking at the end. Em's left eyebrows twiched in irritation.

"You know what! I'm done being your friend. Have a nice day!" Em retorted angrily as she got up to leave.

"Wait! It wasn't the birthday! It's something else. Let me remember... wait why you leaving ?! I'm sorry for whatever it is I did!" May apologized as she grabed Emi's legs.

Em tried moving with the added weight, but decided it was futile and directed her energy at prying May off of her leg.

"I'll do whatever it is that you want me to!Please don't leave me!" May cried while  gripping her leg tighter.

Frustrated, Em replied."Okay, I won't leave! Can you please let go of my leg! You cutting off my blood circulation!"

May kept bawling while holding her best friend's leg for dear life.

"I am sorry for being such a horrible friend! Please.. Oh am I hurting you.. I am so sorry .. I never ment to..."

May immediately let go of Em's leg like it burnt her.

There was a long period of silence between the two.

Em straightened her dress and brushed of imaginary dirt off  her dress. She suddenly became aware that they were the center of attention in the cafe. Even the tired cashier looks awake.

She tried to get May's attention, but May was too busy apologising and bowing to notice. Irritated, Em softly landed a punch on her head. Immediately, May cried out "Ouch?!" as she touched her head.

"Why did you do that, it hurts!!" May continued to complain. Em played with the idea of explaining to May but decided not to. May was an idiot through and through.

"I need to go now. I have a maths tutor  in an hour.".Em quickly got up and left before May had a chance to speak.
She decided to follow Em when the cashier blocked her path.

"What?" May asked quizzically. The cashier pointed at the  half  finished milkshake on the table.

Realising that Em planned this, May could not help but cry out "Em!!".

Later when May was on her way home and grumblimg the loss of twenty five bucks, did she realised that Em never told her the reason they met today.