The Uglies

On February 24th I was sitting in sixth block math. Bored as ever waiting for the day to pass. A face I've always known walks into the room.Val. My head automatically turns and looks down as my stomach flutters with butterflies. I look at my paper as though it was the most interesting thing in the world.

He avoids my eye. Nothing new, just our regular routine. Val walks in front of the class. He turns to my teacher and says "Mr.Smith, Can I borrow Felicia for a second" Mr.Smith nods and murmurs to be quick.

All eyes look at me. I get up from my seat and follow Val out the door. He's not looking at me and I don't look at him. We turn a corner to an empty hallway. His other friends rush to class giving him a thumbs up and a wide smile. "So...you know why your here so...." He says still avoiding my eyes. "Say it" I ask a huge smile on my face. "FeliciaWillYouGoOutWithMe" he says really quick. "Sure" I say cooly and turn the corner and scream my head off.

The next few days Val and I work on our social skills. We text...a lot! And it's super awkward. We don't know really what to say because we have never thought we'd get this far. So we started playing Truth or Dare. I know it sounds weird but it is a pretty good conversation starter.

Once we got out of the awkward stage we figured out that we were really compatible with each other. He acted more of the girl in this relationship. What mean is Val needed me to encourage him that he was a wonderful boyfriend and he wasn't screwing up. Since we were both shy it was hard to be next to each other or face to face.

Since we had no periods together we spent lunch at another table that my friends hated. Both of them were outraged that I would date someone that ugly. I gotta admit, he wasn't a supermodel. But I learned something, someone's gotta love the uglies.