XXVI

Los

"I don't think I heard you correctly repeat that for me" Loyal asked the nurse looking away from the scale

"You weigh 153 pounds meaning you've gained fifteen pounds in your pregnancy so far"

"That's bad huh?"

"No no doll that's good. You only weighed 138 at the beginning and the average woman gains twenty-five to thirty-five pounds"

"You look good with your weight Lo"

"You just tryna butter me up" She stepped off the scale hiding her smile

"You guys can go to the room right there"

After helping Loyal onto the bed I sat in the chair near her reading a pamphlet to occupy my time.

"You think we'll find out the gender this time?"

"Hopefully it doesn't act stubborn"

We came three weeks ago and the baby wouldn't uncross its legs for anything. Even when the doctor shook Loyal stomach it stayed in that position.

"Have you thought about joining one of those mommy and me groups?"

"I don't trust that type of stuff it seems sketchy"

"They have ones just for black parents"

"Are you trying to call me racist"

"Girl no I'm just saying I know you'll feel more comfortable with people like you"

"I'll go only if you come with me"

"Alright I'll look more into it" I told her as the door opened

"Hello Loyal how you doing today?"

"Besides heartburn I'm good"

"Heartburn is usually a sign of the baby growing hair. If it becomes too hard to handle go to the emergency room sweetie"

"I told her to lay off the Mexican food"

"It's your job to tell her no and make her eat healthier food Lanessa"

"She threatens me doc and I believe her"

"Here's a booklet of foods that are good and bad for the baby. Remember you're eating for two now" He handed it to me

"Is peanut butter fine? I eat it 24/7" She fiddled with her nails

"Peanuts are actually a smart food choice.They contain protein and folate. Folate and folic acid supplements are recommended during pregnancy to help prevent birth defects, particularly of the developing brain and spine"

"That's good to know my favorite crazing is safe" She looked over at me smirking

"Fat ass" I mouthed to her making her squint her eyes at me

"This is going to be a little cold" He warned as he put the jelly on her round stomach "Let's hope baby Sanders acts right today"

"It's stubborn like it's mama"

"I'm not stubborn just slightly hardheaded"

"Well the limbs are forming well and it's about the size of a grapefruit. And guess what? Its legs aren't crossed"

"Wait I don't want to know" She stopped him from revealing the gender "I want you to find out first"

"Well okay then step out the room with me" He wiped the gel off and removed his gloves