The Final Battle

"Hey, let me out!" Sally banged on the metal cell she'd been thrown into only minutes before, and Bokkun laughed tauntingly at her. "Oh, you'll be let out soon enough. When Robotnik turns you into a robot, that is!" The robot flew off, and Sally sat on the floor of the cage, running her hands through her fur to think of something, anything in the small space that would help her escape.

Suddenly her fingers felt something cool and hard tucked into her hair, and almost cried for joy. It was a hairpin, from when her fur was styled for the christmas party. She'd almost forgotten that she was too tired to let them out before she went to sleep. Sally could hardly bear having to sit still for that long, but now she was grateful that she did.

I hope this works like it does in novels. She carefully entered the sharp piece of metal into the lock, and moved it around for a few minutes. Finally, she heard a click as the cage door opened. She ran out, but before she could reach the door Robotnik came in and roared when he saw her.

"Bokkun! You were supposed to be watching the prisoner!" When the small black robot didn't come to defend himself, he sighed. "It doesn't matter, you will never escape as long as my army still stands, and you will watch me turn your beloved nutcracker into a robot. After he's gone, I will do away with you."

Sally then gasped when she saw Sonic, trapped in the robot's restraints. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at her, barely mustering up the strength to even smile. "Sally...I'm so sorry. If I hadn't taken you here, you'd still be safe at home. I don't expect you to accept my apology, but you have to promise me that you'll do everything you can to get yourself out, so you can find Amy Rose. She'll return you to your normal size, and you'll be back with your family."

"No, I won't." She exclaimed, and pulled a sword off of the wall. "You said it yourself, this is why my godfather gave you to me. I'll stay and fight, as long as such a terrible villain still stands." Robotnik laughed condescendingly, and gripped Sally's chin to tilt it up. "My dear, you flatter me. However, you're greatly outmatched in this battle, as you'll soon realize."

"Only one way to find out." Sally said, brandishing the sword, which was surprisingly lightweight for being so big. She made a few deep cuts in his arms and legs, and kicked him in the shins, making him fall down in pain momentarily. She then ran over to the robots restraining Sonic, slicing them in half and watching them fall into a pile of bolts, knuts and pieces of assorted metal.

"Thanks a lot, you're really good with that!" Sonic grinned and rubbed his wrists, filled with renewed vigor. "High praise indeed, coming from a former officer of the royal guard." Sally said with a smirk, before they turned to Captain Robotnik, who was able to get back up despite the pain.

"That was a dirty trick, you little brat. Hear me when I say this though, it will never happen again." Sonic stood by Sally's side, and she handed him the sword, as if they read each other's minds. "You're right, it won't ever happen again. That's because I will make sure you pay for your crimes, by sending you to a place where you won't be able to hurt anyone, ever again." He said, his green eyes dark with resolve.

"Where, prison? Let me tell you this, nutcracker. You will never take me alive." Then Sonic ran over at top speed, plunging the sword in Robotnik's chest. "I'm not a nutcracker anymore, and prison would be too good for a monster like you." For the first time in forever, Sally saw Robotnik's face take on a new emotion: fear.

"Please, no. My robots need me." With a mix of anger and sadness in his voice, Sonic thrust the sword in further. "No, they don't. Once you're gone, they will turn back into animals. They will have the chance to resume the lives, friendships and families you've kept them from for so long." The look of pathetic terror frozen on his face, Robotnik took his last breath and went limp.