Chapter 2: Caleb

It was nearly midnight. And they were still yelling.

The shouts crept into my room. I threw a pillow over my face and they still found some way to get in.

The arguing had been frequent lately... They come, and they go. But we all know how it will end up.

Divorce

My parents had been happily married for 17 years. But lately, they seemed like strangers. Strangers to each other, strangers to me.

I was the only child. So it was hard. No girlfriend. No one to turn to when the fights broke out. So I turn to my only source of comfort.

Books.

Books put me in an alternate universe. I could be anywhere I wanted, whenever I wanted. And lately that was anywhere but here.

I hated summer in Rhode Island. We had moved here just last year, so I'm still fairly new to the area. I don't know very many people. Like I said.. No one to turn to when the fights broke out.. That means no girlfriend.

My mom and dad loved each other. They still do. But... I don't even know. I wish I knew how the world ran. How people thought. Maybe I'll be a physciatrist.

College... The last thing on my mind.

I jumped up pulled a hoodie over my head, making sure to grab my favorite copy of "Treasure Island."

I quietly, and swiftly pulled open my window, and swung my feet over the edge.

I felt the breeze glide across my face, and I felt at home. The ocean was my home. Okay.. So I guess I don't neccisarily hate this island.. I hate the people. I hate all people.

I ran towards the sea. The breeze getting stronger, the smell of salt getting stronger, the humidity. I spotted my favorite place; a small nook under an old dock. My source of comfort. My home.

I wonder if I'm a mermaid..

I laughed to myself. It felt weird to hear my laughter. I hadn't heard it in so long. I pulled out my book. Laughing felt so good...

I laughed again.

And again.

And again.

I was in hysterics.

And soon I was crying.

I looked across the waters, at the slow lapping waves. The waves were like my life. Thrashing and rapid during the day, calm and peaceful during the night.

I looked across the sand. Looking over the footprints I left. Watching a dark figure as it approached closer and closer.
... Dark figure ?

I rubbed my eyes. Yup. It was a figure all right. None less than a human. If you don't remember me saying... I hate humans. Especially girls. And this was most Definately a girl.

I groaned, and reached into my pocket for a cigarette.

I turned and pulled a lighter out of one of the knot holes in the dock. I watched as the cigarette came to life and chuckled.

If she thinks she can just come on over... And ...

"Hey, you!"

I groaned.

Awe shit. She's talking to me... Now I have to introduce myself... Just what I need. Another girl. Ones enough in my life.

"Hey! What the hell are you doing out here?" She asked. She was now standing a foot away.

She set her skateboard down in the sand, and sat on a rock.

"Oh hell no. Don't make yourself comfortable," I grunted.

"What're you talking about?" She scoffed.

"I mean this is... Whaddaya call it... My turf."

She laughed," uh-Huh. Your turf. Your funny," the girl put her hands behind her head, and layed back. "Say.. What's your name? Haven't seen you around."

"Don't mock me. And what's it to you?"

"Hey, shut up. I asked a simple question. I got enough bastards in my life. I came here to get away."

"Well excuse me.. But this happens to be the place where I get away. And I like it to myself." I looked away, "and Walker. Caleb Walker."

"I'm Patterson. Brooklyn Patterson that is." The girl curtsied.

"Hah.. Brookie."

"Don't you dare!" She glared.

"Oh I dare."

Brooklyn, scooted over to me,"Hey, give me some of that." She took a puff of my cigarette.

"Sure... Thanks for asking."

"So Caleb. What brings you here, on a night like this?" Brooklyn asked.

"Oh you wouldn't understand," I laughed a little.

"Try me."

I looked over at Brooklyn. I scanned her face. Her serious expression. And from that moment on, even though we'd known each other for maybe 20 minutes...

I knew she understood me.