How to Own the Points System

E.W’s best idea since birth

I would like to start off by pointing out that I am a straight ‘A2’ student.

For those of you that don’t know, the Irish Leaving Certificate is based on a points system. You have to have a least six subjects (I do nine) and you get a maximum of one hundred points in each, which totals up to a grand number of six hundred. If you do Honours maths you get an additional twenty-five points. Every college course requires a certain amount of points.

Being a straight ‘A2’ student means I get an average of 90 points (85 – 89%).

If, like me, you have no idea what you want to do with the rest of your life, getting points is an extremely stressful thing. You don’t know if you want to study Medicine (Which requires 750 points, meaning you also have to do an additional requirement to make up the points) or Jam Making (30 points).

Some people probably don’t see it like I do, but to me not knowing what I want to do is terrifying; therefore, I feel the need to get an ‘A1’ in all my subjects.

This is where E.W comes in.

E.W wants to study Digital Media and he needs to get higher points to get into the course. To motivate himself, the self-proclaimed lazy bastard came up with a ‘Points System’ that involves Skittles.

Every Saturday he comes to my apartment and I supervise him while he completes an exam paper question in each of his subjects. For every point he gets, he is rewarded with a Skittle. For every point he loses, he owes me two Skittles.

About a month ago I decided to do the same thing myself and I am currently up to and ‘A1’ in Biology and Music.

It’s a really good system and I really recommend it for everyone who has exams this year.