♱Fifteen♱

Day two of the trip shouldn't be much different than the first, but considering what happened yesterday, it's no surprise that the company is dead silent when Lord Makai enters. Everyone keeps their head low and voice down. Some shiver in place, a few even cry and none dare to step in his path. We haven't talked either, other than a few orders given this morning. Although the thieves were already "taken care of" yesterday, Lord Makai continues his surveillance of the office while also stopping in to give his opinion on some new hires for the newly opened positions.

The atmosphere is tense and only tense, but I do my job as I am meant to. I don't ask questions and I sure as hell don't smile. Lord Makai makes no mention of yesterday so neither do I, although I continuously find myself watching him and remembering the kind smiles he gave me all those years ago. I haven't seen a similar one since. I'm starting to question if my memories are lying to me. They must be, or maybe I just really want them to be.

The second day goes by without a hitch. The third day, however, we're going to the actual mines. They're on the outskirts of town near the hills and deep within the earth. Some portions of the mine are stripped with levels upon levels reaching further down while others are but deep, dark tunnels into the hills. There are outhouses scattered about, offices and places for workers to rest. We're in one now but won't be staying.

"Are we really going inside?" I whisper when the head of the mines, Wyvin, leaves to retrieve a few workers and safety equipment.

"I am. You may stay here," Lord Makai replies.

"I don't think it's right for the butler to stay up here while the master does all the dirty work."

"So you're keen on being a good butler now?" He hums. "No more speaking out of place then? I'm certainly looking forward to that."

Without much thought, the words sort of just slip out of my mouth, "You're so fucking petty."

Lord Makai actually goes wide-eyed and it isn't until he clicks his tongue that I realize what I did.

"Did you just curse at me?" He asks.

I smile apologetically. "Accidentally."

"I can't imagine what hasn't accidentally slipped then."

"Can you blame me? I thought we were pretending the other day didn't happen."

"Oh no, I remember, but you would have probably forgotten until we returned and found your pay cut." Lord Makai smirks while I gape.

"You actually cut my pay?"

"My humblest of apologies, Wallace," he says so sarcastically that it actually pains me. "You see, I had some greedy workers steal from me, but I've decided to let them be. After all, I don't need the money. You understand, don't you?"

"Petty!"

"Now that certainly wasn't accidental."

I'm about to accidentally punch him when Wyvin returns with a few others and some gear that's meant for me. There's some overalls to help keep warm, a hat with a light on it and some gloves. I don't see how that is much protection when the threat is being buried alive, but ok. With a heavy sigh, I take the gear and put it on begrudgingly.

"Are you not wearing the safety gear, Your Grace?" I inquire when I see that Lord Makai has only thrown on one of the jackets rather than wearing his own.

"Why would I wear it?"

Oh, right, immortal. Suppose it doesn't matter if a rock smashes in his head. Actually, that may literally knock some sense into him. Still, I rather not see anymore blood while on this trip so if everyone could refrain from injuries, that would be great.