♱Fifty-Eight♱

Third Person P.O.V.

Warning: Violence & Gore

Kailyn obeyed his commanding officer and found the Unborn, successfully handling them. As instructed, all their research was procured. Rather than keeping them under lock and key for their week-long journey home though, he read them.

His years at The Academy allowed him to understand the text that spoke of dark magic. Nothing pointed to knowing how to create or destroy vampires, but there were a few theories on how to trap one. The commander would be displeased as it seemed they knew more than the Unborn did. Their assault was pointless, save for ridding the world of some more Unborn. Kailyn was, admittedly, a bit disappointed too, even if he tried to deny that it had nothing to do with Soran.

Although Kailyn returned having done as he was told, he wasn't feeling victorious in the least. Each night he lay awake, hearing Soran's voice even in his sleep. And when he happened to visit the castle, he always lingered outside the dungeon. Sometimes he swore he felt something tugging at him, begging him to step inside. He never did, but as the weeks turned to months, Kailyn found himself spending more time at The Academy's library.

The Academy had vast knowledge that was not available to the general public. Kailyn's position allowed for long nights of research into the possible enchantment on Soran's cell as well as the one on him. Kailyn told himself he was only curious, it had nothing to do with breaking Soran out...

Until three months later when he found himself tying up the guards of the dungeons so he could secretly sketch runes of destruction across the walls of Soran's cell. A bag of coins, Kailyn's entire life savings, was tethered to his waist. A carriage waited outside Vashna with a destination to Biem. They would take a boat across the sea to Yvlacna. Soran could either attempt to find his own kind, Karsissia, or remain with Kailyn, although at this rate Karsissia would probably be the better bet. Kailyn was clueless, a complete and utter fool. He simply wanted to get Soran out, away, far away from the Baylor's so he had a choice, a chance to be someone, which was never given to him.

Kailyn could break the enchantment locking away Soran's cell, but there was no telling what was within. He had a few guesses based on research. A slumber, that was what Lucar called it. In the Unborn's text, it was described more as time, suspending Soran in a single moment that lingered into eternity. Oddly enough, Kailyn hoped it was the latter. He found more information on how to break that than he did a random slumber. There were quite a few ways to break such a spell, but some involved herbs or a rare poison from a beast in some weird fucking forest in the middle of nowhere.

"I'm so fucked," Kailyn whispered and yet he still stood within the drawn runes.

Kailyn faced his familiar, Nicko. He was a large black dog that two full grown men could easily ride. His hide was thick leather, but he had eight beady black eyes like a spider and the lean, muscular legs of a cheetah. His speed was akin to none. Nicko had been a friend to him this last decade and something told Kailyn that today may be their last.

He rubbed Nicko's ear. He butted his head against Kailyn's chest in response. The thing about familiar's was that they knew when something was wrong. Nicko sensed it too, but he obeyed Kailyn when he said, "Wait outside. Should anyone try to enter, stop them."

Kailyn pressed a lingering kiss to Nicko's head. Then the dog disappeared. Kailyn prayed to the goddess that they all should survive the night.

Facing the cell with his hands clasped before him, Kaylin uttered the incantation that he had memorized, feeling the lumen warm within him and spread out across the floor. The wall began to mimic wet paint on a canvas, twisting colors that then vanished into nothing, revealing two heavy metal doors that were chained shut. A meager spell was set upon them that Kailyn merely slashed through with his blade.