Matthew C. Roberts

I must have passed out because when I think I wake up, it’s dark out. Keyword: think. I don’t know exactly what even happened, but maybe, just maybe I have a shot at getting out of this house. I stand up from the spot in the living room where I had fallen to the ground and rub my forehead. I don’t hear anything, so I assume Aria is asleep or away from the house. Nothing hurts anymore right now, which is a massive improvement from earlier.

I wander up the steps and find Abigail’s room. I just barely crack the door open, not feeling like just going through a wall, and the tiniest amount of pain shoots through the finger I had used.

I hate this.

I peer inside and see Abigail sleeping soundly, her body tucked under a pile of blankets. Leaving her there, I make my way back down to the kitchen and sit in a chair.

So… How is it possible that I can not only feel pain, but also faint?! Not just that, I’ve been stuck here for 14 years and just now I can suddenly feel all these things?! What is happening?

What has Abigail done?

I sigh, putting my head on top of the table. It doesn’t make any sense. This is so frustrating. Ah, God, I just want some small amount of logic in this mess, some tiny amount of hope that Abigail is the answer to my biggest problem. If only it was that easy.

I raise my head from the table, rubbing my eyes. I stand back up and head towards the grand piano, deciding to get my mind off this mess with music. A piece of paper lays on the worn keys. I pick it up and read the note.

“I’m so sorry for what happened to you. I’m about to do some research, all I want is for you to be set free from this house. You deserve it after all you’ve went through. I honestly don’t know what’s real anymore, so I’m going to say this is really happening.”

I doubt she’ll find anything about ghosts, but I smile at the note. She cares enough about me to do all this, unless this is just pity. Regardless of the reasoning, I take the note and let myself believe she just cares about me enough to want to help me.

I sit down at the piano and begin to gently push some keys down, creating a beautiful sound that echoes throughout the room. Isn’t it fascinating how you can create a masterpiece by pressing down some keys? 

I just want some answers.

What’s keeping me here? Do I have some mysterious unfinished business?

Why do I suddenly feel pain? Pass out?

Why does this all suddenly happen when Abigail moved in?