Chapter One

Ghost hid behind her paper. She crouched low in her school chair, wishing she was invisible. Only me. Only I could get in a mess like this.

The principle said, his face red from anger, “Why did you do it, Stephen? Did you just want to push buttons on your teachers?”

The boy he was addressing had snuck a knife into class and pulled it out, threatening the class. Ghost didn’t blame him. He had the worst classes this school provided.

“No. I wanted my life to end.” He muttered, pushing his pencil around on the desk.

The principle nodded slowly, “You know I’m going to have to contact your parents about it. They are probably going to want to put you on something, so be prepared."

Something either meant a drug or a counciling session.

The principle then turned to Ghost, she felt her skin crawl at the look in his eyes. Good thing he didn’t know she had taken many defense classes after she was attacked.

“Ghost…why aren’t you talking to anyone, love? You have got to speak up in class if you want to pass, okay?” He said, his words coated with sugar

Ghost shook her head and pointed downwards to her notebook, “Look, Mr. Come-On, I don’t talk because no one listens. Got it?”

He tilted his head and traced a line around her hand, “Okay, I’ll let you off this once. Here’s your get out early slip.”

Stephen gagged and turned around in his chair. Ghost felt like gagging herself. The principle had always come on to her, just because she was different. She was ready to go to someone with it when he threatened her life for it. Now she just let it slide.

Soon, Stephen greeted her outside the door, “What the hell was that? You let him do that? It’s sick, Ghost!”

She shrugged looking down to her notebook. She picked up the blood-red pen and scrawled her name in her font.

“You have to tell someone, Ghost. Someone like your parents. They need to get that bastard away from you. He is a mentally sick person anyway. He shouldn’t have this job. Anyway, you have to tell someone.” Stephen said, glancing at her notebook

Ghost pulled it to her chest and rolled her lips together, “I can’t.”

Stephen rolled his eyes, “You can’t mean that you like that attention.”

She just shook her head. No one would understand why she hadn’t gone to the police right away. Ghost never felt like she could, or should.

Stephen grabbed her shoulders and made her look at him, “Ghost, tell me why you can’t. Maybe I can help you.

“I just can’t.” She muttered as she jumped from her sitting position on the concrete wall outside of the school.

Ghost hurriedly walked towards her dorm. She wished her parents were still alive. She wished her bitch of a sister hadn’t sent her to boarding school. She wished a lot of things, but not one ever came true.

Suddenly, she heard footsteps behind her. Whipping around, she saw the goth boy who also never spoke walk by her. Ghost shook herself, she had to stop this.

She jogged to her dorm. As soon as she shut the door, she went into the small bathroom. She pulled her grey hair into a messy bun and splashed water on her face. She looked into her own eyes in the reflection. The blue that was there was unnatural, many people said. Ghost wiped the makeup off around her eyes and quickly went to sit at her desk before her roommate came in.