Chapter Five

The next week was slow compared to what had happened recently. Ghost and Ben weren't bothered by Joker. Not that they knew of anyway.

Ghost couldn't shake off the feeling of him looming over her and watching her every move, but she never saw him. Ben said he could feel him too, but Patrick and Patricia never could. It was almost as if Ben and Ghost were the only ones allowed to feel him now.

Stephen had disappeared over the weekend. His parents must have gotten sick of the endless calls from the principal and picked him up. They weren't horrible people so they probably just took him away from here.

Bekka and Ghost were now closer then ever before. Their relationship had matured into a friendship instead of just tolerating each other. Ghost was glad she had a friend, even though it wouldn't be for much longer.

Patrick had called an emergency meeting, something major had happened and it called for change.

"Sorry for messing you day up, you two. We found out that Joker has in fact murdered a student from this school. We aren't sure how he found out that this student was special, but he did. We tried to conceal his power, but my guess is that he wanted to die." Patrick said, his voice calm and cool although his face was tight with worry. Ghost could only think of one person. Stephen.

"Who?" Ghost asked softly from the corner of the room.

Patricia hung her head and said softly, "Stephen."

Ben knew Ghost and Stephen had been pretty tight. He put his arm around her and drew her close as her face paled even more then normal. She just nodded. She couldn't feel anything. Ghost thought Stephen was safe from this horrible school. She thought that he had escaped. And she had no idea that Stephen was special.

Patrick said gently, "I know that his family thinks he just went off the deep end. He was acting differently for a few weeks before we found him."

Ghost said softly, "I know for a fact he was acting very odd."

Patrick nodded, "Yes. Well, that means if Joker can knock down a mind as strong as Stephen, he will have no trouble with you, Ben. Ghost was born from two specials, that's why she is stronger. Ben, you can be just as strong as she is with a month of training at our center."

Ben just nodded, his hold on Ghost's arm tightening. She felt tears come to her eyes. Everything was too perfect the past week.

Pain suddenly took her breath. Joker was on campus. She could feel him coming closer and closer to her with every breath she took in. Ghost looked to Patrick, Patricia and Ben. They seemed unaffected. Why was he coming after her?

Ben suddenly took in a sharp breath. He could feel him too. He just never let on.

"Do you feel that?" Ben asked, his voice sharp

Ghost had to wait a few heartbeats to have the strength to answer, "Oh yes. Overwhelmingly so..."

Ben asked aloud, "Don't you guys feel that? It's overwhelming."

Patrick looked extremely confused, "Feel what?"

Patricia looked back and forth between the two of us and said, "You guys look like you've seen a ghost. What's the matter?"

Ghost said surprisingly loud, "He's here, that's what the matter is. He's coming for us right now."

Ben held her close to him, purposefully. He would do anything to save her if it came down to it. He knew Joker had made her upset with his horrible words and the pain he brought her every night.

Patrick nodded slowly, "If I try hard enough, I can feel his presence. He is close, isn't he."

Ben nodded and said grimly, "What are we going to do if he-"