Chapter 9

Pandemonium seemed to have descended upon Cang Qiong Mountain when a lone visitor came and introduced herself as the Qing Jing Peak Lord's ex-fiance. The news had spread out like a wildfire among sect disciples.

All the peak lords and elders who have known Shen Qingqiu since he was a disciple was surprised that it took this long for someone to come up. Shen Qingqiu was after all notoriously known to visit brothels when he was still but a disciple. Some people even made bets that sooner or later a woman would show up claiming to be carrying his child, but even after years nothing came up. They certainly didn't expect an ex-fiance to show up for a visit.

Shen Qingqiu was having lunch, which he was forced to, with Yue Qingyuan when one of Qiong Ding's disciple came running and told them about the said guest. "A cultivator named Qiu Haitang request an audience with Shen-shishu."

"Qiu Haitang." Yue Qingyuan repeated, looking at Shen Qingqiu with worried expression. He didn't want his shidi to meet with someone who had took part in ruining him. He knew that he was being a hypocrite but his selfishness had long outweighs reasons.

Yue Qingyuan was about to deny her request when Shen Qingqiu spoke "I'll go and see her."

"Xioa Jiu" Yue Qingyuan pleaded but his plea was met with a cold glare before he stood up from his seat and head back towards Qing Jing Peak to meet with an old acquaintance.

Shen Qingqiu found her waiting in the orchid pavilion. There was a sense of relief to seen her all grown up and doing well. Truth be told he was honestly scared to face her but he owes her this much. If she wants to ruin or kill him then so be it. Qiu Haitang has the right to do so.

Qiu Haitang turned around when she noticed someones presence and look at him in surprise before her eyes turned misty and tears began to fall. "A-Jiu" she ran towards him. Shen Qingqiu was tense, expecting for her to attack, he fought his reflex to push her away and defend himself but was wrapped in warm embrace instead.

He was surprised at Haitang's action and he didn't know what to do. But what startles him the most was her next words.

"A-Jiu." she sobbed "I'm sorry for everything. What my father and brother did-"

Shen Qingqiu started trembling for an entirely different reason. Her words alone was enough for a confirmation that Qiu Haitang has learned of what truly happened in the past but there was an urge in his chest of wanting to explain and beg her forgiveness.

They spent the entire day talking and reconciling with their past. Promising to help each other when the other needed it.

------

Liu Qingge was not surprised when Shen Qingqiu had come late at night for a spar with Luo Binghe tagging along behind him with worry apparent on the boy's face.

They didn't exchange any words but Liu Qingge knew what he wanted when Shen Qingqiu unsheathed Xiu Ya. Ever since he got to know his past, whenever Shen Qingqiu feels shaken up he would find Liu Qingge to release some tension and he was more than happy to obliged.

The two of them exchanged blows one after another until beads of sweat rolled off their skins. Unlike the first time they had fought each other, Shen Qingqiu had become a challenge for the Bai Zan's War God. Not only was Shen Qingqiu familiar with his movement, his cultivation was now stable enough to be able to go toe on toe with him.

But in the end, it was still Shen Qingqiu's loss with Cheng Luan pointing at his throat.

"I won." Liu Qingge heaves.

"Ah." Shen Qingqiu nodded listlessly before turning to his disciple. "Binghe, go back first. I need to talk with your Liu-shishu for a bit."

The boy seemed reluctant but he could only relent before he left.

Knowing that his shixiong doesn't want audience for his impending breakdown. Liu Qingge lead Shen Qingqiu towards his abode for privacy. They took a seat across each other and Liu Qingge offered him wine which Shen Qingqiu downed in a single gulp.

"Qiu Haitang came earlier." Shen Qingqiu spoke after moments of silence.

"I know."

"I should've, I should've done something more for her," he repeats, over and over again, even though Liu Qingge knew some parts of it and coaxes the story out and even he can't see anything else Shen Qingqiu could have done. He was desperate to survive and he was suffering through a qi deviation at that time.

Hell, Liu Qingge is even glad that Shen Qingqiu killed those people with rotten core.

"It wasn't your fault," Liu Qingge says, "You were just a child yourself."

"I've taken so much from her yet she was the one who came to me and apologized."

Liu Qingge winces in sympathy. Shen Qingqiu is great at putting up a cold front and having a commanding presence. But inside he was vulnerable. He cares and feels so much, that it had became too overwhelming for him to handle until he had turned numb to it all.

Liu Qingge wants to say, I'm sorry.

Liu Qingge wants to say, I wish I could have been there to save you sooner.

Liu Qingge wants to say, You did the right thing.

Liu Qingge wants to say, It's alright to cry in front of me .

Liu Qinnge had a lot of things he want to say to comfort Shen Qingqiu

Instead, he says, "I found a three tailed blue bellied cat."

Shen Qingqiu does spill the wine then and stares at him as if he had grown another head. Even the Bai Zan Peak lord was stupified of what came out of his mouth but it was too late, he might as well roll with it.

Liu Qingge continues on calmly about the creature, explaining how he found it and how he managed to subdue it and put it in one of the cage with intention to give it to his shixiong on his next visit. Liu Qingge didn't use to have interest about the specific details of any creatures or monsters he ran into. He usually fight it until he kills them and be done with it. It was only after knowing that Shen Qingqiu likes taking note of them that he starts being observant so he could relay information about whatever he was fighting. And it honestly helped him a lot of times.

Liu Qingge won't claim to know how much Shen Qingqiu was hurting but he can somewhat understand what happens when someone feels like the world is choking and closing in on them, and anything else is a breath of fresh air to remind them that the world is still the same as it always was. Eventually, slowly, his hands stop twitching and his shoulders start smoothing out, and by the time that Liu Qingge was done, Shen Qingqiu had appeared more relax without the dark shadow hanging over his head.

"It was you who told her." It was not an accusation but a fact. Other than Liu Qingge no one else knew about his past, especially with what happened with the Qiu's, even Yue Qingyuan was completely clueless.

"We just happened to run across each other." Liu Qingge shrugged.

"Don't tell me you just also happen to come across with the other surviving servants to serve as a witness."

"Yeah." Liu Qingge nodded.

"Nosy bastard." Shen Qingqiu sneered. He honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry at his shidi for trying to make a lie so bad and ending up being too lazy to even stand up to his lie.

"Thank you." Shen Qingqiu said solemnly "I owe you for this."

"Like I told you in the past." Liu Qingge smiles. "You can rely on me Qingqiu."

Shen Qingqiu gave him a soft hum of confirmation as he took another cup of wine. He felt much lighter as if he had let go of a heavy burden that he had been carrying his entire life.