YOUR FIRST STEP

Learning another language is like learning a skill. It takes practice and dedication. The very first and one of the most important things to learn is how to introduce yourself.

You can start off with something simple.

The most common greeting throughout English speaking countries is 'hello'.

So now you have your first step. If the person you are speaking to is someone you've just met you will have to tell them who you are.

Let me introduce myself as an example.

Hello. My name is Megan.

That is completely correct. There is another way to say it that is simpler and more commonly used. Let's try again.

Hello. I'm Megan.

Now the person you are speaking to knows who you are but you don't know who they are. Let's try an example where we ask someone for their name.

Hello. I'm Megan. What is your name?

Again that sentence is correct but there is still a better way to say it. Let's try again.

Hello. I'm Megan, and you are?

I know it's difficult to learn a language when all the instructions are in that language. If you really want some help in your own language download the app Duolingo and be amazed by the results.

Your exercise for the day

Post a comment introducing yourself and let me know what language you speak at home.