The Tree

Day Four of the Christmas Chronicles (look, I gave it a name).

The two children looked between the object in front of them and each other. Molly spun a length of her hair around her finger curiously, biting her lip as she mused. "What is it?" Her brother, Dean, answered after looking at the strange object.

"It's a tree." She nodded, walking around it and looking at him from the other side of the table. It was about a metre high, the leaves green and a few pine needles underneath it. Cas had put stripy fabric underneath the pot it was in, and a box full of strange declarations were next to it.

"What do we do with it?" He thought for a moment, his voice laced with uncertainty. He took out what seemed to be a lump of plastic attached to a ribbon. There were swirling designs around it, and the bronze coloured background reflected his confused face.

"I think we decorate it."

"What with?"

"Oh my goodness, you two are clueless. Have you never heard of a Christmas tree?" The siblings turned round as Cas walked in, a bundle of brightly coloured material in his hands. Unsure of what it was, they exchanged a glance before turning back to Cas and shaking their heads. He deposited the pile of - could it be foil? - on the table and pulled out a string of LEDs from the box.
"Well, you put these lights on and plug it there, see?" He wrapped the string around and plugged in into a power outlet. He pulled out a length of the mysterious substance and handed it to them. "Then you add tinsel." Dean wrapped the tinsel around the branches whilst Molly hooked an ornament around her finger. Cas nodded eagerly.

"Then put some baubles on." Together they hung a bunch in the tree. Molly stepped back to admire their handiwork.

"This is what you do? I see. Why?"

"It's a tradition." He explained, showing them a picture of another decorated tree. They nodded in understanding. Dean smiled, stepping back to look at it too.

"I think it's pretty. With all the colours."

And the makeshift family enjoyed the moment of peace next to the Christmas tree.

Published 22:05 GMT, 12/10/2019