𝚏 𝚘 𝚞 𝚛 ' 𝚜 𝚊 𝚌 𝚛 𝚘 𝚠 𝚍

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛'𝚜 𝚊 𝚌𝚛𝚘𝚠𝚍

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎
𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛'𝚜 𝚊 𝚌𝚛𝚘𝚠𝚍

"What do you mean Embry shifted?" Ryleigh glanced at each of the men that sat at the kitchen table the next morning. "What didn't you tell me earlier?" Narrowed chocolate eyes looked directly at her guardian.

"He just shifted late last night," Sam answered, crossing his arms against his chest. "He's not safe enough to hang around, yet."

"This is my best friend we're talking about," Ryleigh snapped.

"And he's still not under control," Sam snapped back. "We haven't even been able to shift him back to human."

Ryleigh sighed, knowing that Sam was right; but when she heard that Embry shifted and she didn't even know it until now, she freaked out. Embry has done nothing but be the best friend that he could be towards her. He was the one that helped her throughout her and Jacob's break-up. He was there to help pick up the pieces— and to know that she couldn't be there for him when he needed someone, it hurt.

"I would worry less about how Embry's doing and more about how your other little friends are going to react to another person in the cult," Paul muttered around his breakfast that Emily served on the table.

Ryleigh paused as she reached for a single muffin on the table as she thought about what Paul said. Even though she wanted to snap back, she knew that he was right. It was bad enough hearing Jacob's opinions of her brother and Quil's silent agreement when it didn't involve any of their friends. Now, someone so close to them was going to be in the pack, and Ryleigh wasn't sure how she could continue fighting off their questions.

"Hey." Jared broke her out of her thoughts. "If Black gets too much, just come sit with us at our lunch table."

Ryleigh sighed. "Thanks, but I think that would make the rumors worse about me."