Third year - part 20-36

Trigger warning: part 28 - contains torture, skip if you need.

Word count: 8900

——20——

Hadrian returned to the pair of humans at the lake.

"So why'd Luna-"

"Featherclaw"

"-Featherclaw need you there anyway? You're not a creature yet."

"I don't know. One minute we were standing in the lair surrounded by vampires, the next they were all on the ground, a couple even dead. I blacked out in between though..." There was a moment of silence.

"Luna used your magic to make our masks, didn't she?" Draco inquired.

"Yeah..?"

"Yeah! She probably did that again!" Anthony finished. Just as they were pondering how Luna could do that;

'Think of the devil and she shall arrive.'

'Thank ye Hadrian for thine kind words.'

"How's the girl?"

"She's fine, bitten, but fine."

"Bitten!?"

"By an inherited-"

"So now she's his slave!?"

"I gave her to a shadow creature to take to Lord Sharpe, he will take care of her."

"Shadow creature?"

"Creature that lives in the shadow realm, the Clan uses them to communicate."

"What's the shadow realm?" Anthony spoke up for the first time, only to stare at a moving shadow on the ground. It was a bird, standing on his shoulder, it even moved when he did, but it wasn't actually there. He grasped his shoulder in confusion before gasping in shock as the bird seemed to phase through the ground, flying up to him.

The bird was beautiful; pure black feathers sparkling a deep purple in the moonlight, golden eyes shining out, as if staring into his soul.

"A dark Phoenix," Draco breathed, "supposedly an omen of certain death."

"Also my bird." Hadrian supplied as the bird came to rest on his outstretched arm, shimmering into an owl.

"Hela? You- what?" Hadrian just chuckled at his friend's confusion. "You have a dark Phoenix for an owl-?"

"-Familiar"

"-familiar! Phoenix's only stay with people they trust with their lives! And that one's incredibly rare, Hadrian, you're a really good, trustworthy person, who will do the right thing, but you will die accomplishing it."

"And who are you to dictate Fate?"

"You can thank my parents for drilling Wizarding customs and superstitions into my head." Draco grumbled.

'Would be quite funny if they were right though, the one time humans actually could predict the future.'

Luna just sighed. The conversation eventually moved back to the girl they had saved.

"Her name is Maya, she's a Hufflepuff in the year below us. She'll need help now that she's a creature, I doubt she will take kindly to this development, nor to her new instincts. I suggest that we recruit her as soon as possible, without being seen. She'll probably stay the night in the forest, afraid of herself, that's when we approach her, okay?" A round of thoughtful nods answered her. "Okay. Now then, it's late, you all look tired, and there's nothing more to do tonight."