Chapter 4 - A new life

So now I make a home. Not that complicated right? Just a few logs and sticks. It'll be fine, I can do this. Oh no, it's already getting dark. Not much time left. I walked through the wood, to places I have recognized, already been. I found a nice, clear spot that didn't have many trees overhead. Perfect for letting in sunlight.

     I thought hard on how I would make a shelter. I have never had to do anything so dangerous, so wilderness. I have not been trained for this type of survival before. I got very nervous and started second guessing myself. I had to do something fast. Darkness started creeping up on the ground.

     Finally, an idea popped up in my brain! I quickly searched my sack and found some of my raggedy clothes. I grabbed a decently large stick from nearby and got to work. I would make a teepee. Luckily, the ground was moist from previous rainfall, so I jabbed the stick into the ground. It was a pretty tall stick, I guess I should call it a sort of log. I then gathered all the clothing items I had and draped them against the log.

     Although I had to configure holes into the clothes to make them stay, the teepee was worth it. I drove the ends into the earth with smaller stickers so I could go inside. It was a small dinky place, not well lit, but it would work for now. I trudged my way in so I could actually rest for the night.

     Inside my sack, I found a few leftover scraps of material from my sewing projects. I used them as a makeshift pillow to get some cushioning. I wasn't as comfortable as my cot of a bed at the orphanage of course. I slept rough, having nightmares, not bad ones though, which was good.

     When I woke the next day, the air smelled of morning dew. A sweet tangy aroma left the trees and grass. Nature. This is what nature is. I heard birds chirping all around, and at a nearby pond, ducks quaking. It was a beautiful spring morning. I figured I was well into the forest as I could see no sign of fields or buildings anywhere. Perfect.

     This is my new life.