Chapter 13 - Wolf trainer

"Callan come!" I cried out. But my wolf wouldn't budge. I ran toward Callan with open arms. I threw them around the wolf and started crying. "Callan, Callan, what is wrong?" I didn't know what to do. I tried to pick the wolf up but Callan stayed put.

     Then, I heard Callan growl. A deep, furious growl. The wolf then bared its teeth and developed bloodshot eyes. Keeping gaze straight ahead, Callan took a step forward. I was confused. I tried to see what Callan was watching. Although I did see something, I couldn't make out what it was.

     I instantly raced behind Callan, desperately. I didn't know what to do. Callan was so small, I think we were both hopeless. Then, out of the moonlight, I saw the figure emerge from the woods. Callan instantly lunged forward.

     I heard a squeal and bark. Callan. I didn't want to get close to the action yet I knew I had to help. I still didn't know what the creature was, nonetheless where Callan was. They suddenly disappeared into the night. "Callan!" I screamed out. I heard movement coming from my eastward side. I turned and saw them there.

     The animal turned out to be a coyote. Oh that isn't good. There is no way Callan is going to fight off one of those devils. I had to do something. I sprinted over to them and joined the brawl. I threw my fists every which way hoping I wouldn't hit Callan. I felt thick fur and blood. I yelled out.

     I got knocked back into the dust. I closed my eyes as if nothing could hurt me now. I felt something fall on top of me. It was Callan. I quickly arose to help. I couldn't tell if Callan was injured but I could see the coyote inching toward us. I moved Callan to the side and threw myself on the beast.

*****

     I woke to the bittersweet smell of wet grass and the heat of a morning sun. I slowly rose, Callan next to me. I felt lightheaded and nauseous. My eyes clouded. It was hard to see. I felt Callan climb on my lap. I could somewhat conclude the fact that he looked stronger.

Like I trained him to fight.