{Chapter 4}

{Previous: As I open the furnace checking to see how clean it was, I hear Ron open a chest and rummage through some things before opening the bathroom door and shutting it behind him. It's time to make dinner.}

I rummage through our bags, pulling out all the food and drinks I could find. I set everything on the coffee table and think to myself. So we don't have any meat, so we don't have to worry about that for now. We have some fruits so I can make us a fruit salad. Theres also some vegetables so we could make soup with that. I lay my eyes on two strange looking fruits. They were purple with a light purple stem. It's shape was similar to a apple. I think I read something about these before. I believe it's called a chorus fruit and if it's consumed it could teleport you at a random near by location. I wouldn't say there rare, more like STUPID EXPENSIVE. Mainly due to how difficult it is to collect them from the end lands. I wonder how a obsidian miner such as Ron managed to get his hands on this when I can barely get one myself. "Hey Ron." I said allowed. I here him stomp around in the bathroom before opening the door. I point to the purple fruits and ask "How did you get the chorus fruits?" He looks at it and laughs "Funny story actually. At the meeting one of Notch's leaders of his army handed me those and said its for our trouble and emergency. One of those is yours." He says before going back into the bathroom to clean. I look back at the fruits. For our troubles? I wonder if Ron was from some place far away like me. I grab all the fruits including the chorus and set them in the cabinet. I'll make vegetable soup.

{Timeskip}

Ron steps out of the bathroom, wiping his forehead from sweat before letting out a heavy sigh of relief "Thank Notch the bathroom doesn't stink anymore. Also whatever is cooking smells delicious." I look back and smile "Thanks. I made some vegetable soup. Come take a bowl." He walks over and grabs the wooden bowl and spoon before sitting on the floor. He sets his bowl down on the coffee table and takes a spoon full of the soup. I sit down across from him and eat as well. "Man this is good." Ron says with delight. "I saved some of each vegetable so we could plant them tomorrow." "Aww you didn't have to. I needed to head back to town to grab some more things anyway." Ron says. Something clicked in my brain and I spoke "Speaking of. Do you think we should get a horse or two to make the trips to town quicker and easier?" Ron nods before writing something down in his notepad "Got that in the list. Got anything else we should get?" I look around the room and laid my eyes on the bunk beds "Extra pillows and blankets? Winter should be rolling in a month or two." Ron writes that down in his notepad. "I hear it snows mad out here. Since it'll be coming in soon we should start stocking up on foods too. Should we expand the farm a little?"
I nod before looking out the window above the furnace. It was dark out already.
"Maybe flint and steel to light torches." I mumbled.
After writing down everything we could think of needing, we finished our soup. Ron lets out a big yawn before opening up his back. "Which side of the chest you want for your clothes?" He asked me. "I'll just keep my things in my bag until we get the extra chest." I said as I threw my bag on the top bunk. There's no denying it, I've already claimed the top bunk. I climb up the ladder and plopped on the soft mattress. "Hey I have a question." Ron spoke. I look down at him as he was sorting his clothes in the chest "What was your life like before you came here?" I look back on the memory of constantly moving from one inn to another "Well. As a miner you tend to travel a bit. I never had a full on house after I moved out of my parents place. So I was constantly moving around. What about you?"
"I grew up in the mountain lands with my mom and two sisters. We didn't need to move much since my dad was always mining in the mountains. After he past away my mom got sick so I stopped studying mob culture and started working in the mines. Who could have thought I would be so good at it. My mom is still sick unfortunately, but when I was given this offer I couldn't just pass it up. And so now I'm here." Ron explained before crawling into his bed "So why did you decide to come here?" I was quiet for a moment. Why did I come with? Maybe because there could be so many untouched ores. Maybe it's because I could get a lot of money to actually get a house to stay in for long periods of time... or maybe it's because I wanted to get away... "I'm not much of a city person. So I saw this as a chance to live somewhere other than a Inn or a place with lots of people." Ron let's out a chuckle as he pulls the covers over him "Do you mind me being here?"
"Nah your ok. I meant I didn't like living in areas where there's crowds." I close my eyes before adding "By the way, can you blow out that lantern?"
"Sure." I hear Ron get up from his bed and walk across the room. There was a slight squeak sound before I heard him blow out the candle. Everything fell into darkness. "I'll talk to you in the morning. Goodnight." Ron says as he lays back in bed.
"Goodnight."