Chapter 14: Mega-event

Megan arrived home after the long journey to the north pole. Awasthy, Susan had accompanied her. All of them were sitting around a round table in Ryan's home. Everybody was in deep thoughts and gloomy. Nobody was sure what action they should take. After Megan introduced Awasthy and Susan to Ryan and Ryan to them. Ryan came straight to the point.

'We are in a fix. They have asked to get the code of the cursor.' Ryan's concern was visible on his face.

'But why didn't you deny it in the first place,' Megan questioned Ryan the very basic thing he wanted to avoid.

'Even if he denies it, they would have not left him free. Whether he carried it or not is not the right question. What we should do given the current situation is the right question which we all must address,' Awasthy summarized it in his unique style.

Susan appeared from her recollection of the past events and stood up from her chair. She crossed her arm and said, 'Guys, this is very dangerous. We must do something otherwise it can be misused. We cannot keep waiting.'

'What is this something which we must do. So we just go and announce it that we are in danger. Or we organize an event inviting leading researchers, politicians and journalists in the town hall announcing the great invention,' Awasthy sarcastically repudiated Susan's arguments.

'Yes, that is why we are sitting here and having a mind storming session... a kind of, Ryan defended the slow approach of Mr. Awasthy to the problem.

'Well, what I did not mean to undermine your efforts. It was just to remind you all of the urgency, CSA might have got the unsecured copies of the Cursor code which anyone from the Creationists team might have left on his computer,' Susan sat on one of the empty chairs in front of Awasthy on the round table while trying to avoid direct eye contact with him.

'We must not bring the personal dimension into the current discussion, it could be disastrous for the Cursor invention, there is now the need to publicize and stop any attempt to misuse the cursor invention.' Awasthy was adept at reading the minds of people in front of him.

'We are a team now, and we have to work for securing this great innovation of Cursors. We have to ensure that no one, I repeat, no one including the government can misuse it. Cursor invention belongs to the same category of inventions as nuclear technology. Our objectives are to make this available to the world and contribute to the society at large, though these objectives are not going to be easily fulfilled,' Ryan's message was clear as the expressions of his face.

'Well, we need not overemphasize this fact as we all are well aware of it,' Megan seemed not very happy with the crassness of Ryan's directives.

'It was not targeted against anyone,' Ryan stood up and put both hands on her shoulders trying to pacify her. Megan's face suddenly flashed with a glow as if she had seen a treasure hove.

'But merely announcing it will not be enough we would need to get feedback of the people who are using it.. if any,' said Awasthy.

'I know how to take care of that,' Ryan replied confidently.

******

Mega-event

Once again the stage was set for the announcement of the invention of the cursor and its capabilities. Once again all the leading experts of computer science from academia, the industry as well as individual enthusiasts gathered in the Exotic Halls in the center of the city. The event management company called Exotica had arranged the event. All the guests have arrived, some on the personal invitation. The invitation was like this: