VLD 55

Found on Tumblr

It’s Not All Fun and Games

Since I love the “DnD” episode already, I wrote a story based on it. Although it’s kind of like an AU instead. It’s also sort of based on @hardlynotnever‘s Wolf Lance art they posted recently. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy! 💙

•••••••••••••••

He doesn’t know how long he’s been trapped in this cramped little cage, a muzzle tightly strapped to his face, cutting into the skin of his cheeks and the bridge of his nose. He could barely remember his life before it turned into the darkness of this cage. He could barely remember the faces of his family and his friends. They were all taken at the same time. An ambush. Even though they were each pulsing with power, it only took a few moments to take each of them down.

They were relatively kind to his friends, only shoving them and wrenching their arms behind their backs until they were cooperative. Not him though; no, they took him straight to the ground and pushed his face into the dirt. His body trembled with humiliation as they wrenched his head back and tightened a muzzle over his face.

“HEY WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING!” At Shiro’s enraged voice, his pupils sharpened and he lashed out at the group of attackers. They startled but quickly formed a circle around him to cage him inside. In their goal to get the muzzle on his head, they hadn’t bound his hands yet and he was going to take full advantage of his free claws.

A deep growl rumbled out of his throat and he crouched slightly as his ears swivelled and eyes darted around quickly.

“Get the pole,” one of them said, but he wasn’t paying attention to that. Every move he made was mirrored by one of the bounty hunters and he was growing desperate to escape. So desperate that he became careless.

He let out a garbled choking noise as a loop of twine tightened around his neck. His fingers wrapped around the line, trying in vain to loosen it from his windpipe. He was tugged back and thrown to the ground, the stick in the hunter’s hands digging into his neck.
He didn’t even realize when he started crying but tears were running down his face and panicked sobs were hitching in his throat.

“See, what did I tell you? Dumb, just like any other animal,” the leader laughed. Lance watched him with large watery eyes.

I’m not an animal

He looked over at his friends as they were subdued from their own escape attempts; they were all clean, looking no worse for wear and they certainly weren’t being held to the ground.

Why is it only me?

He struggled violently as he was pulled up from the ground and dragged away from the rest of his friends, who were calling out to him and pulling on their own restraints as he was thrown into a cage and carted away.

Through the muzzle he let out a loud mournful howl, hoping his friends could understand the sentiment behind it.

••••••••••••••

It was a really hard few months, painful too. He didn’t think that he would become so different when he thought of being captured before. He always had in his mind a vision of him not bending before his capturers but that was easily wiped away after the first few times he was punished.

He didn’t know how Shiro walked away from the Galra like it was nothing. He didn’t know how he was able to take Matt’s place and shine all the light on himself so he could get away. All it took was one good beating to ingrain the fear in him and leave him a trembling mess.

He became pretty complacent after that and was mostly left to his own in his cage, waiting in the silence for meal times.

Like the moment he was currently in.
He spent his time, humming or singing quietly, anything really to stave off the madness that wanted to overtake him.
He found himself singing a song that Hunk had taught him shortly before they were captured and lightly scrapping tiny pictures into the dirt. He stilled as he heard shuffling noises as if someone was searching through the loot that was stored in the back of the camp with him.

He got on his hands and knees and quickly shuffled back, away from the searching noises. He knew it wasn’t his capturers and it wasn’t feeding time.
Which only meant that it was an intruder.

Way at the back of his mind, he was praying that as soon as they saw him that he would be killed. It wouldn’t be much different from a common dog on the street, but it was much better than being trapped like he had been.
Even though he was ready to accept such a fate, he couldn’t help but think of all the things that he would miss.

His cage was shaking with the force of his trembling and his throat was burning at the frightened, high pitched whines he was letting out. At the sound of his fear, the footsteps and rummaging got quicker and louder. By the time he could see legs outside of his cage, he was letting out shrill yells and pushing himself into the furthest corner of the tiny space. The door of the cage creaked open and he slammed his eyes shut, his ears pressed against his head submissively as he screamed in fear.

He didn’t know what was happening, he was so scared. He didn’t know what to do but scream.

He cowered at the hand that came down on his head gently and yelled mournfully. He didn’t want to be hit again. The hands went down and grasped him around his arms to drag him out of the cage. He started screaming again but didn’t try to fend off the figure, only more pain would become of that.

“Shh, it’s okay, it’s alright now,” A gentle, familiar voice said. Fingers carefully combed through his overgrown hair, uncaring about the grease and dirt that clung to the strands. The person didn’t seem to mind the fearful barks that Lance let out and only focused on comforting him through his panic. They soothed him with quiet words and he found himself pressing his face into their chest even as he whined, seeking out just one more kind touch.

After some time passed, he was able to stay silent; his face still hiding in the man’s chest. Even as he fell silent, they didn’t stop the comforting strokes.
“Lance, can you look at me?” The man suddenly asked. He went still, his heart pounding in his chest.

He knew that voice.

He pulled back, his eyes wide. Even though he had just stopped crying, this time it would be in relief.
“Shiro,” his voice was muffled by the muzzle and Shiro blushed.

“Right, sorry,” he said, quickly reaching up to undo the straps. “Oh, Lance,” he breathed out as the muzzle came away from his skin with a bit of stinging pain on his part.

“How long has this been on?” He asked carefully.

“Since they put it on the first time,” he answered, his hand going to his stinging cheeks. He could feel the raw wounds marking his face, but he wasn’t angry. Not in the least. In fact, he was overcome with relief and joy.

He hadn’t breathed this freely in who knows how long. With the muzzle on, it constantly felt like he was fighting for every breath that he took. It didn’t even begin to explain the terror that ran through him when he had a panic attack. The already measly amount of air thinned and he would be left laying on the floor of his cage, begging for another chance, crying for someone to help him with something as simple as taking a lungful of air.

“Come on, the others are waiting,” Shiro said standing. He reached out, offering Lance his hand which he quickly took. He helped him off the ground but as soon as his support was gone, his knees buckled and he fell back to the dirt.

“Sorry Shiro,” he said ashamed as he struggled to push himself back up. “I must have become pretty pathetic since the last time you saw me,”

“What!? Lance, no, of course not!” He said, dropping down beside him. He pulled him back into a hug, pushing his face to rest in the crook of his neck. “You are one of the bravest people I’ve ever met, so don’t you dare put yourself down like that,”

Lance silently nodded, tears prickling in his eyes. Shiro pulled back to look him in the eye.

“Now, I know a bunch of people who’ve been dying to see you again,”