Chapter Five || I'm going to fix you, Ed

"The way sadness works is one of the strangest riddles of the world."

Charlotte and Ed were trying to make sense of what was happening to Ed

Charlotte and Ed were trying to make sense of what was happening to Ed. What were those 'blackout' moments he was suffering? Why would he kill the people in Haven? However, nothing made sense whatsoever. Ed hadn't been able to remember anything else since the old lady hit him in the head. He even asked Charlotte to hit him, but of course she refused to hurt him. She was certain they would find another way.

Ed heard the recordings he had made after all the 'blackouts' while writing the word 'remember' over and over again in his journal. He had woken up in a dumpster, woken up with his fingers full of dirt as if he had been digging, and his feet cold, wet, and with mud everywhere.

Charlotte never left his side. They hadn't even slept in the last couple of days. No more 'blackouts' had happened since then, but how long could they last without a wink of sleep?

Ed was already losing it. He let go of the recorder and started hitting on the table with desperation hanging on every word. "God! It doesn't make any sense!" He looked at his reflection in the mirror. "You're not a murderer, Ed". He looked back down at the table remembering what he had done in the past. "Except Kristen Kringle. And Officer Dougherty". They deserved it though.

He turned to face the mirror once again to speak to his alter ego while Charlotte observed him sadly. She didn't know what to say anymore. Nothing she could say would ever make him feel better.

"But all those people and children. How could you do it? Why?" Ed shouted at his reflection at the time he punched the mirror. "It doesn't matter why. What matters is that it was you who killed them. Not me".

Charlotte walked up to his side and wrapped her arms around his torso comfortingly. She didn't know what else to do, so she was just there for him. He understood that and wrapped an arm around her as well knowing she was suffering a lot too. Ed placed the softest kiss on top of her head and felt himself calm down.

Charlotte took his bloody hand in hers and was going to lead him to the bathroom where they had the first aid kit, but they heard a loud bang from outside. They were alerted and Charlotte grabbed her gun to prepare for whatever was coming. Ed let go of Charlotte and skipped towards the bookshelves full of books. Charlotte slowly walked towards him, keeping her gun trained on the door.

At the moment Charlotte reached Ed's side, the door burst open and Jim came barging in with a few other men Charlotte and Ed didn't know, but they appeared to belong to the army.

"Edward Nygma, Charlotte Bateman, you're under arrest for the attack at Haven and the murder of hundreds of innocent people," Jim declared, having found out that Edward Nygma had bought two RPGs. Together they had brought down the helicopter with humanitarian relief and destroyed Haven.

Ed raised his hands in the air since he was unharmed. "No, Jim, I can explain".

"Explain?" Jim asked in indignation. "You son of a bitch. You two actually did it?"