Chapter 1

Today was like any other normal day; the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and I watch Kei Nagai from a distance. He's always been that type of kid who seemed boring thanks to him wanting to do nothing but study instead of hanging out with other kids his age or much of anything else, but even so he was like a piece of art that I could admire for hours.

I followed him and his so-called friends down a busy sidewalk. I didn't intend to stalk him, but only to observe him. The only reason I had so much interest in him was because I had unusual feelings for him, and I desperately wanted to know why, this leading to following him into figuring out what is so intriguing about him to me.

My feelings for him were almost unsettling. I sometimes would just have that usual shy crush on him, you know getting embarrassed and running away whenever he was even only one foot near me, and other times I wanted to just wanted to grab a hold of him and threaten everyone to stay away from him. I didn't understand those feelings, so I followed Kei up to the ends of the earth just to understand myself and my feelings for him.

I noticed Kei glanced at a blonde kid who sat next to an abandoned store, drinking juice. When they both caught glances, the blonde kid waved, only Kei didn't wave back and I overheard him mention that the kid was a freak. the blonde kid looked like he knew Kei though, and I wanted to know why but I didn't bother to walk up to him and ask.

The blonde kid noticed that I was following Kei, and only waved at me like he knew me, the same way he did to Kei. I waved back, because I wanted to be friendly. That was actually pretty mean of Kei to not wave back and call him a weirdo. but does that "freak" somehow know Kei in a way? I asked myself but I didn't bother with it too much.

I continued to follow Kei all the way to our school and our class;we both have the same class together, class 3-1.

==============================================================

In class, the teacher was talking about ajin. We were even given the chance to ask questions about them and even speak of what we know. The first kid pointed out the obvious, that ajin's are immortal and cannot die.

I noticed Kei was more fixated on his cards about medical words and findings rather than on the topic of ajin's. I tried to get my mind off Kei and busied myself with the today's topic.

I noted that the first appearance of an ajin was 17 years ago in Africa, which was coincidentally the same year we were all born in. In that area, they were given the name "Soldiers of God". The teacher even said that once the American soldiers caught them, they found out why the were called that there in Africa; for them being immortal, and it became the greatest discovery for mankind. As of now, 46 ajin are confirmed across the globe, and two of them are here in Japan.

I got distracted by Kei again. He was still doing the same thing;looking over his cards, but even so I still got distracted by, ironically, the back of his head(I was sitting at the back of the room, two rows away from Kei).

When the teacher said something about prey, Kei was immediately interested, for whatever reason. Apparently he was listening, but not watching, or maybe it was some other way but I didn't think too much about it. Kei even repeated the teacher's word "prey", and the class immediately turned to his direction.

When the teacher reminded him to raise his hand before he speaks, I could tell he got flustered in embarrassment, which was a sight to see since that doesn't happen often, and I thought it was pretty cute. It got even more so when he asked if ajin were even human, and of course they weren't, which made Kei embarrassed and he sat down shaking a bit.