No# 15

Weeks went on with no contact with Shawn. I spent most of my time with Cory as Shawn had to cut him out of his life as well. Jennifer was manipulating Shawn and wanted complete control of his life. She wanted him all to herself and didn't care about his feelings. As much as I thought I was hurting because of everything, I knew that it was affecting Cory way more. He and Shawn were like Bert and Ernie, a package deal. Cory wasn't even sure how to cope with things. They had resorted to sneaking time together in the school library or calls at pay phones.

One particular night, Cory practically begged me to help him cook a big dinner for him and Shawn to catch up. I only agreed in hopes that I could leave before Shawn got there. We had been in the kitchen for hours and Cory was becoming more and more agitated as time went by.

"I said 6:30 sharp! Doesn't being on time mean anything to anyone?"

I rolled my eyes.

"When has Shawn ever been on time?"

He shrugged in disappointment. Just then, Topanga came in through the back door.

"I'm sorry, Cory, but the pie took forever and I wanted everything to be perfect for your big dinner tonight."

"Well, it seems like we've all wasted our time."

Topanga and I looked at each other.

"He'll show up,"she said to him.

"Yeah, he'll show up. But in the meantime, I'll just stick my beef brochettes back in the oven until they're ruined!"

Just then the phone started to ring. Cory paused. He knew it could have only been Shawn and he was afraid to answer.

"Aren't you going to answer that?" Topanga pressed.

I nodded at him to go on and answer it. Cory answered the phone hesitantly.

"You're not coming?"

My heart sank for Cory. He had done the most to just spend a little time with Shawn but he was throwing him out of his life. All for Jennifer Bassett? I mean, what did this girl have? Besides, incredibly rich parents, expensive clothes, a car, and model looks...well, I guess she had a lot. A lot of what I didn't have. Any did it honestly make Shawn happy to be with her? The thought made me sick to my stomach and I slowly sank into the kitchen chair.

"Cory, look at yourself! You're a wreck! And Y/N, you too! You clearly both can't live without Shawn. I think it's time that you guys told him how you feel."

Cory and I looked at each other with wide eyes. My eyes looked away from his in sadness. Even if Cory and Shawn made up, I didn't think that Shawn and I would ever get back together. I let my trust issues and logic get in the way of what I really felt. I screwed up and there was no looking back.

"Shawn doesn't need me anymore and he doesn't see how much he needs N/N."

"Shawn and I are over, but there's still hope for you and him, Cory. Jennifer is out of control and she's got Shawn wrapped around her finger, but you're his best friend. He's always going to need you," I said.

Topanga nodded.

"Shawn deserves a sweet girl. A girl that understands that a best friend is apart of who you are, and if she doesn't accept your best friend then she isn't really accepting you. Jennifer isn't that girl. But Y/N, you are and you need to talk to him. You too, Cory."

I wasn't sure if Shawn would even understand where we were coming from. It seemed like all he cared about was Jennifer's tongue down his throat.

"You're right. What do you think we should do?" Cory asked.