The Last Day

The young Mayflier, Aster, met another Mayflier around the same age as her. They were both young, but they were able to play and run together. His name was Seth, he was a wolf-Mayflier hybrid of Unhealing. He was able to hurt other beings and prevent them from ever healing. He could also stop the growth of plants, which is how he practiced his ability instead of hurting others. As months go by, the two of them became best friends, and Seth became to feel affectionate towards Aster, but she never found out that he liked her that way, nor returned the feelings.
On a summer day, Aster became very ill. Her mother had temporarily poisoned her to fake Aster's death. Seth was constantly concerned about her, but he was too young to check up on her alone. Aster progressively felt worse, and one day passed out. Her mother took that chance to announce that her daughter had died. Seth couldn't bear the news and he ran away from his mother and the pack. After wandering far away from the pack territory, he became lost and never found his way back. He was on his own, his parents would search for days but they never found him.
Aster's mother left the pack with her pup, and faked her pup's death to protect her as the Mayflier population was decreasing dramatically.
They moved into a large hole under a mound of dirt lifted up from the roots of an old tree and her mother nurtured Aster back to health within a few days, but occasionally her mother went out to patrol the area for any threats or prey.