He Had A Family

The next day Armin woke up in Eren's bed once again. He yawned then stretched his arms out before slowly climbing out of bed. He let out a small sigh, feeling the warm sunlight shine on his face. "Eren?" he called, noticing that he wasn't around. "Where are you?"

A holler could be heard from the trees above, Eren was sitting on one of the highest branches in the tree that supported his home. "Armin sleep. Eren wait" He said as he began to climb down, kissing Armin on the cheek.

"Well thank you, Eren." Armin blushed, returning the kiss.

Eren smiled at the boy he loved so much. "Armin follow." He ordered, climbing down to the jungle floor then waited for the blonde.

Once Armin was down from the tree, Eren took his hand and lead him through the jungle. He made sure the path was clear and safe before allowing Armin to follow. "Eren's old home." he suddenly said, reaching another hut that was made from what seemed to be wood from a ship. Armin could tell it had been abandoned for years maybe even decades seeing how the old home was taken over by wild plants. "Did you use to live here?" He asked, earning a silent nod.

Armin then walked inside, his eyes saddening as his eyebrows furrowing as he took in the scene before him. Clothes were hanging on a line near the window, along with shoes neatly laid up against the wall. He stepped farther inside, seeing a bed made from leaves, animal hides, and an old sheet. What caught Armin's attention the most was that there was a bassinet on the other side of the house. It was only one room so it wasn't too far away from the parents' bed. Armin walked to the bassinet, picking up a photo that was on the floor. He wiped off the thick layer dust before looking at the photo.

It was a family photo. There was a male, the father on the left side. He had green eyes, brown hair that was about shoulder length and slicked back with round glasses. He was wearing a black button-up and was sitting next to a woman with a small smile. The woman had a dark blue dress with her black hair neatly combed into a low bun. She had amber eyes with a small smile as well. She was holding a baby. The baby had brown hair and green eyes wearing a white nightgown. His eyes widened as he read the names on the bottom of the wooden frame. "The Jaeger Family" he then read the names out loud. "Grisha, Carla, and Eren."

Armin slowly turned around to face Eren who had his back facing him, holding a broken watch in his hand. "Eren.. you had a family.." he said softly. "What-What happened?" Armin knew it was a very sensitive topic.

Eren slowly turned around, clutching the broken watch tight. "Killed. Blood." He said sternly but quietly. "Eren was a child. Panther attacked mum and dad." He sniffled, replaying the memory in his head. "Papa tried to-to.." Armin cut him off by kissing him deeply, holding Eren tight in his arms. Eren kisses back after a moment, cupping Armin's face as tears began to fall down his face.

"It's okay Eren... it's okay.." Armin cooed, pulling away then let the wild man cry onto his shoulders. Armin concluded that Eren had to be a young child, maybe around six or seven when the attack happened since he could clearly remember what happened and where the old home was located. No words could comfort Eren, so Armin stayed silent but the feeling of being in someone's arms was more than enough for the brunette. 

Eren eventually calmed down, wiping his eyes. "Feel better?" Armin asked, caressing Eren's cheek with his right hand. Eren didn't say a word, only placed a hand on top of Armin's then looked into his big blue eyes. "Eren misses them every day," he responded then looked back down at the watch before putting on. It used to be Grisha's watch.  

Armin let Eren have his moment with the watched by continuing to look around. He found suitcases full of clothing for his parents and baby Eren. There wasn't much else in the hut beside a pearl necklace that Armin assumed to be Carla's. "Armin have family?" Eren asked after Armin gently placed the necklace in his hand as well.

"No, I never had a family" Armin replied. "I grew up in an orphanage ever since I can remember" he then informed, "My parents died when I was born and no one could take care of me so I went to an orphanage." Armin sighed at the upsetting memory. "For years I begged to be adopted by a married couple, or even a single parent would do. I only wanted someone to love and care for me. But no one ever wanted me." He began to tear up but no tears fell. Armin cleared his throat before stepping away. "Enough about me," The blonde began, "Do you remember how you got here?"

Eren wasn't the brightest but he knew Armin wasn't telling the whole truth about being an orphan but he didn't press on it. "Ship. Big storm and ship crashed" He informed, acting out the scene with his hands.

This gave the wild man a beautiful idea. "Armin and Eren become family," he smiled, taking Armin's hands and held them tight. 

Armin giggled at Eren, tearing up again but this time it was happy tears. "Of course we can be a family" He answered. He blushed, feeling Eren softly kiss his tears away. 

****************

The walk back to camp was quiet but it was a comfortable silence. Armin played with Eren's hair as he was being carried. His body stiffened seeing Reiner, who was packing his belongings. Reiner glanced up at them then scoffed which caused Eren to growl. He still had a black eye and a cut across the bridge of his nose from the fight three days ago.

"The ship is arriving tomorrow. I suggest you start packing." He stated, tossing Armin his empty suitcase.

"About that..." Armin trailed. "I'm staying here... with Eren"

Reiner spun around, his eye wide. "Armin, tell me you're fucking joking." he chuckled, clenching his fists. "You're not staying here with him. Pack your shit and let's go" he then ordered.

When Armin didn't move, Reiner groaned marching his way over to the tiny blonde. "Listen here you stubborn little-" He was cut off by Eren protectively standing in front of Armin, glaring as he growled loudly. Reiner stepped back with his hands in the air. "Fine. Stay here and get killed for all I care" 

Armin held Eren's hand and instructed him to pack the blonde's belongings and take them back to Eren's hut. It took a few hours but the two managed to do it. "Why are you smiling so much?" Armin questioned, caressing his cheeks. 

"Eren loves Armin. Armin stays with Eren forever" He answered, giving Armin an ear to ear smile. 

The wild man suddenly picked up Armin, twirling him around then kissed the small one all over his face. 

It was time to start a new life with a new family.