Sorry, But Not Really

I wake up in the infirmary, Avery overhead. Gale is next to her, and Indy's there too. I smile, then try to get up. My wings are numb, but something doesn't feel right. "Am I dead?"

"I wasn't sure for a while. It was touch-and-go for a bit with you, Rena. I'm very sorry."

"Are my wings okay? Will I still be able to fly?! Am I going to be a weak link?" I blurt out the questions and go into a violent coughing fit, making my feathers flutter.

"No, you're fine." Avery confirms as I sigh with relief. "Just don't get up."

"Why not?" I ask.

"Your wings are sort of messed up." Gale says. "Avery says you won't be able to fly for a month, if not more."

"What happened?"

"Thistlepatch almost killed you." I look down at my paws. "Will he be punished?" asks Gale, and Avery acts as if she's already been through this multiple times. She probably has.

"Listen, it was out of grief and anger. Plus, what he did see can not be denied nor confirmed, but based on the hints, it is almost definite he was right."

"About what?!" asks Indigo.

"Rena is the princess. It's really not that hard to deduce. Dreamlandian Dalmatian, born around the same time that the whole Plague started, no relatives and no idea where you came from. You might also have let slip that you lived close to the castle." Avery finishes with a broad stroke of her wings.

Gale snarls, "Why didn't you tell us if it was so obvious? Just wait until the completely insane dragon and his fuzzball friend find out and tear Rena into confetti. Great freaking idea. For the heroes of a legend, you and Torch are idiots."

Indigo gasps. I would facepaw but my whole body is numb.

Avery is icily calm. "It would've been much better to have the whole world know that we were housing the lost princess, wouldn't it? Let's just go tell all of them right now. Let's see how they react." She extends her wing towards the door. "Go on."

"They're going to burn Rena at the stake if they find out for treason. You know this won't go over well. It's something along the lines of 'la de da, I literally let millions die but I'm back now. Aren't you soooo happy?'" says Indy in a extremely high pitched voice.

"That was possibly the most insulting thing I've ever heard." Gale says.

"He makes a good point." I consent.

"Fine. If you two say so. Heal up, Rena... it'll be awfully lonely trying to find a team without you." He chuckles.

"Consider it done." I say, trying to uncurl myself and get up, but no, I'm forced to stay down by aching joints.

Maybe... soon... I'll get up, but for now- I'm just so tired... I find sleep draws me in like a soft breeze, and I drift back out of reality into the colorful home in my mind.