The Start Of Esther's Story

My name is Esther Kezia Mercy Sparrow. My mother said that she gave me so many names because she knew she would only have one child. Apparently it is one of the side effects of the Passer's stone.  

Today is my 17th birthday, and today I receive the Passers stone. I've been dreading this day all year.

    My father places it gently around my neck and I can see the pride in his smile. It settles on my chest and I'm surprised that it feels warm, almost the same feeling as when you run your hand through the flame of a candle.

My parents view the stone as a blessing, and I suppose it is, but in my mind it is more of a curse. I look down at the stone and notice it slowly change colour. As long as my father has worn it it was dark green. The colour fades into blue and then purple, darkening until it is almost black.

"What is it doing?" I ask.

"It is adjusting to you," father says "so that it can help you better."

I nod but don't actually understand.

I realize with a spark of fear that I will have to tell Atticus. I have told him what the stone does but not everything it means.

"We are so proud of you," mother says reminding me where I am. 

"Thank you." I whisper, hoping that they can't see my fear "Can I go out now?"

They look at each other and smile knowingly. "Of course, but be back for supper."

I nod and run out the door tucking the necklace under my dress so as not to draw attention to myself.

I arrive at Atticus' house and knock on the door. His mother opens it, smiles at me, then calls for him. A few seconds later he comes out the door with a grin on his face and holds out his arm. I wrap my arm around his and we walk down the road towards our future house. The walls and roof are already up and he is just finishing the inside.

"I got the stone today." I say quietly.

I want to get this over with so I can enjoy the rest of this day.

"I have to tell you Atticus, if we get married we might have to run away eventually. The governor wants it." I say.

"That's alright. We can make a home wherever we are." He says relieving some of my fears, "And I've always wanted to see more of the world."

"That's not all though... we'll only be able to have one child." that is the worst part.

He waits a bit longer after that but says "It'll be alright. We will love our one baby and maybe find other children to take care of."

"I love you Atticus."

"I love you Esther."