Chapter Four

~ Esther

"Thank you Senia." I say before she leaves.

"You're welcome," she says "take care."

She walks out the door and I hear it lock. Israel is sleeping and I place him on the bed and lay down beside him.

I sleep fitfully and wake up sore. A maid brings breakfast but doesn't speak to me. I eat slowly and wonder if it will help me if I pretend to be sick. Probably not.

What can I do though?

Before I have time to think about it the door opens again. This time it is a guard, the same one that apologized to me.

"Excuse me miss, the governor will see you now." He says, eyeing me as if I will bite him.

"Alright." I stand up and take Israel from the bed.

"Uh, your husband can take the baby." He says when we are out the door.

"Is he not coming with me?" I ask.

"No miss, the governor would like to see you alone." He says, looking down.

I sigh "Okay."

He opens the door and I explain to Atticus what is happening. After that I follow the guard through the halls and to the governor's study.

The governor is sitting at his desk with a feather pen in his hand and a frown on his face. He looks up when we come in and gives me a small smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

"Hello miss Sparrow." He says gesturing for me to sit down.

I remain standing "Actually it is Mrs Denner."

"Right, I had forgotten that you were married. Anyways, I have a deal for you." He says and seems to pause for effect.

I don't humour him by asking what it is.

After a few seconds he continues "All you have to do is give me the Passer's stone and I will let you and your husband go."

I had forgotten that the stone is the reason we are here in the first place.

"I refuse your deal." I say calmly.

If Atticus's plan works we will be out of here and still have the stone.

    He seems to be thinking for a bit and then he says "Fine, your other option is, give us the stone or we will take your baby."

    All the fear that I have pushed down since we were arrested comes back in a rush. I yank the stone off my neck and hold it out to him. He smiles triumphantly and takes it from my hands.

    "It really is beautiful," he says "is it always this hot?"

    He looks slightly worried which makes me feel better. The stone isn't changing colour like it did when I first got it.

    The governor's fingers curl around the stone, slowly covering it. At first I think he's just being possessive but after a few seconds I realize his hand is shrivelling.

    "What's happening?" He asks when the shrivelling moves up his arm.

    "I'm not sure, but you might want to let go now." I say quietly.

    He drops the stone as if burned, which I suppose he is. As soon as it touches the table his hand goes back to normal and I pick up the stone.

    "May I go now, sir?" I say, my calm coming back when I put the stone around my neck.

    "Yes, leave!" He says.

    I turn to go out the door but he stops me.

    "Wait. I changed my mind," he speaks to the guard "bring her to the dungeon. If I can't have the stone then I'll make sure that she can't use it against us."

***

    The dungeon is really not that bad. Cold and dark yes, but at least there's no rats. I wonder how Israel is doing, and what time it is.

    I look down at the Passer's stone and wish I knew what it did to the governor. If it can do whatever it did maybe it can help us escape.

    I wish my father was here.

    Fifteen minutes later I hear a baby crying. My baby. I stand up and move closer to the bars hoping someone is bringing him to me. The crying comes closer and soon a guard and a maid appear. The guard is carrying a set of keys and the maid is carrying my baby.

    As soon as the door opens I take Israel and hold him close. The guard walks out but the maid stays while I feed and change Israel. When I am finished the maid gets up.

    "Wait." I say "Can you bring my baby to my husband? It's too cold for him down here."

    She nods and leaves with my baby.

    I hope Atticus will know what to do.

    I hear the clock strike eleven that evening and remember that our plan was to escape tomorrow. Our plans haven't been going so well lately.

    There are steps coming down the stairs and I expect to see the maid coming with Israel again. She has been bringing him to me whenever he is hungry and I am extremely grateful to her. But it's not her. It's Senia.

    "Esther?" She whispers.

    "I'm over here." I call.

    She walks over "the plans have changed," she says "we have to get you out now."

    "How do you plan on doing that?" I ask.

    "I managed to get the key to your cell and I'm going to put a disguise on you." She says, unlocking the door.

    She hands me a maids dress and then ties a head scarf around my very noticeable hair. She then adds a bit of makeup to my face to change me enough that I'm not obvious. Then we go up the stairs to the main level.

    "We're going to have to use the servants entrance." Senia says.

    "Where are Atticus and Israel?" I ask.

    "They are going out a different way with Max." She answers.

We head down a dark hallway with paintings of scenery and a few candles. The end of the hallway brightens and I hear voices coming. Senia darts behind a large plant and I squeeze myself into a dark corner.

    The voices come closer and I see a group of guards. They are laughing about something and I recognize one of them as the leader of the group that arrested us.

    My heart pounds in my chest as much in rage as in fear. The stone's gentle warmth flows through me and I remember to breathe.

    The guards pass us and their voices and lights fade down the hallway. Senia comes out from her hiding place and looks around for me. I step out from the corner and she looks startled.

    "How did you do that?" She asks.

    "What?"

    "Go back into the corner." She says.

    I obey, confused.

    She walks closer to me and her expression changes to awe.

    "I think the stone is helping you hide." She says quietly.

    "What do you mean?" I ask.

    "The stone makes you almost invisible."

    That's makes sense, strangely. Maybe that's what happens when it warms up.

    "We have to keep going," says Senia "but at least now I don't have to worry about you being seen."

    We keep walking, in the direction the guards came from. One of the doors at the end of the hall leads to the kitchen. No one is there right now so we can relax a little bit.

    Senia opens the kitchen door revealing the dark night and we step outside.