Day 1

"Love is what makes authority effective. Plain and empty authority without love is just dictatorship. One had to have love for him to exercise his authority. And authority always comes with responsibility." said the priest.

I nodded my head to agree.

It was a Sunday afternoon when I decided to finally try to complete the novena for the most awaited time of the year. You see, I am a proud Roman Catholic. Though I haven't really been a good one I am proud that I am a catholic. Every year, I try to reconnect with myself and the Lord by attending the nine-day simbang gabi which I always fail to complete. But this year, I am positive that I will complete the novena.

The bell started ringing at 7:00 in the evening, a reminder that the mass will start very soon.  I rushed to my closet to find the most comfortable outfit that I could wear. I wasn't the "girly" type. I wear the most comfortable clothes on and decent ones. I barely care what people think though, sometimes they bother me.

I arrived at the church with sweat all over my forehead while still catching my breath. The mass has already started! I was late on the same day I promised to be better! What a shame!

The mass went smooth except for my aching feet. Since I was late I had no chair and I was just standing near the entrance which made it more difficult because of the noise coming from young children playing outside and some babies crying.

Today, we talked about authority. I always thought that it only comes from the people who has a little edge than the others. But the priest made it clear that authority is not a mean to abuse power, to boss around the weak, and to use others. Rather, it is an obligation; one that shows care and love to others.

After the mass, I made my way in the altar to receive the blessings from the priest. I was looking and admiring the beautiful ceiling of our church when suddenly someone accidentally stamped my feet. I am not going to lie. It hurt! It was somewhat like a brick falling into my toes. 

I looked at the person who accidentally engraved his shoe's heel in to my feet. I was about to glare at the person but... Wow! What a nice sight! I didn't expect that there is a person capable of being so handsome! A pointed nose, fair skin, and a small dimple shows whenever he moves his cheeks. He also has a fair skin that looked like smoother than mine! I never thought there could be someone so handsome to be alive! 

We both apologized at the same time. Well, I know I had a fair share of fault too. We laughed with the coincidence. I was still enjoying the moment but to my dismay someone he knew pulled him and moved. I haven't even had a chance to ask for his name! Who knows when will I meet a person like that again? He's the only person whom I had felt this feeling! Today was the first time my heart skip a beat by just looking at him!

If I knew it would've ended like this; I would have long attended the Christmas novena years ago.

I am Lizzy and this is my Christmas story.