Waiting

Bucky, Peggy, and Natasha sat in the waiting room waiting patiently. Peggy had bought Bucky a tourist shirt from the hospital gift store that he quickly changed in to. He threw away his bloodied shirt in a sterile trash bin, wishing that just like his shirt he could throw away everything that had happened in the last couple of hours.

He was sad. He was upset. He was anxious. 

Bucky was suddenly sick to his stomach at the sudden replay of the prior events in his head. There was so much blood. Sofia was practically dying in his arms and dammit, there wasn't anything he could do about it. It should've been him.

Sofia's parents burst through the electric sliding doors snapping him out of his thoughts. Her mother was in hysterics and her father held an angry look on his face. Maria couldn't even look at Bucky without sobbing harder than she already was. But even then she still wrapped her arms around him as soon as he stood up from the uncomfortable chair. Bucky returned the hug, rubbing her back softly and silently wishing that he could make it all better.

Miguel stared hard at Bucky. He knew what was coming as soon as he let go of Maria. He had made a promise that he would always take care of Sofia. Maria sobbed into Bucky's chest and he felt his heartbreak even more if it was even possible.

"Bucky, why," she cried, "Mi niña!"

"What the hell?" Miguel walked up to both of them, pointing his finger at Bucky. "You're the one that's supposed to be on his deathbed, not Sofia!"

Bucky let go of Maria looking Miguel straight in the eye. "I'm sorry. I know that's not enough to make all of this any better but I'm truly sorry. I wish you knew how much this hurts me—how much I would prefer to be in Sofia's position right now."

"No digas eso." Maria wiped at her eyes. "No one deserves to be in Sofia's position, not even you." She reached out to grab his hand to squeeze it tightly.

Miguel still glowered from his spot and Maria cried softly. Bucky could not feel any worse that was for sure. Peggy and Natasha stood up from their spots a couple of seconds later and greeted both parents with teary eyes. It had been about 2 hours since Bucky and Peggy had gotten to the hospital and hadn't heard of anything. 

"Do you want anything to drink? Coffee, water, soda? I can go and get it." Peggy offered while Natasha nodded at her side.

Maria and Miguel both shook their heads in unison. Maria let Peggy know that they were alright for the moment being; maybe they would go and get something later. Everyone sat down again and played the waiting game. Bucky could hear the clock ticking along with his own heartbeat. He was growing tired, but he had to will himself to stay awake. 

Another hour passed but this time Sofia's name was called out. All four people waiting for her stood up at the same time, expectant and hopeful looks on their faces. The doctor grinned at them and they all sighed.

"How's my daughter?" Miguel asked, not beating around the bush.

"Sofia is fine."

Everyone let out another sigh of relief. Bucky felt the pain in his heart subside slightly. The doctor went on about everything that they had to do to her in the operating room, but Bucky only repeated to himself that she was okay. 

"She will be staying here for a couple of days," the doctor informed. "Just because she did go through a lot of trauma and is in a lot of pain."

"Can we see her?" Maria asked, her eyes widening slightly.

"Not yet," the doctor replied. "As soon as we get her all settled into a room I'll have a nurse come and get you all." Everyone nodded and the doctor gave them one last hopeful smile. "Everything's going to be fine. She's okay now."