One

I slumped back against my chair, not paying much attention to the other speakers since my turn was already done away with.

A hipster-looking girl climbed up, making me look like a rural girl (which I certainly wasn't). She spoke her name which I did not bother storing in my memory.

Taking a deep breath, which did not give away an ounce of nervousness, she broke into her speech with full vigor.

My whole body responded, my attention hooked into her words, my breath clung onto her voice.

By the end, though I barely remembered any word I knew one thing for sure.

I needed to meet her.

Desperately.

The party broke with a final word by our Principal. 

Of course I was just in school. The energy, the dreams raging through my veins were untamed. I had been lucky enough to get friends who taught me to dream shamelessly and live savagely.

Until of course, I changed school when I was in 8th because apparently I was not intelligent enough. Now I was in 10th and I still couldn't find someone quite compatible.

People say you find what you want when you least expect it.

The crowd started to dissolve slowly. My eyes scanned the crowd for the girl who had grabbed not only my attention but everyone's and bagged the first prize.

My eyes trailed for some time, futilely. Eventually, I decided to lift my lazy butt from the chair and sauntered off. Everyone was in casuals so it was relatively easy to find her in her ripped black jeans and leather jacket.

Her classmates had clustered around her like bees. Congratulations, hoots and cheers were in the air. Despite being her rival, I could not help but smile.

I did not get the opportunity to talk to her that day.

_______________________

The next day, I found her in the cafeteria, or what we called the canteen. What surprised me was the fact that she was all alone.

I bought myself a can of coke and hesitated. Gathering my guts, I walked towards her table. When I was a few steps away, she looked up darkly, her eyes hooded, apprising me silently.

She raised her head up when I had reached her table, her eyes still throwing daggers at me. Silence lingered for a while and I absentmindedly fumbled with my sweater.

I swallowed nervously. Hell, why was I so intimidated?

"Uhm, hi. I am-"

"Samridhi, I know. What do you want?" she cut me short.

"How do you know my name?" I blurted out.

"Yesterday in the competition."

"Oh," I murmured, "Right."

"Now speak, will you?"

I could feel my palm sweating.

"I, uh, I just..."

"Spit it out girl."

No kidding, I was shaken by her impertinence.

"Can I talk to you?" I blurted out. She raised her eyebrow and I continued, "I mean like sitting and having a nice little chat."

She rubbed her forehead and pulled out a chair for me to sit. 

"Yeah what?"

I fell silent for a while. She raised her head, and our eyes met.

"Are you okay?" I almost whispered, "You look really pissed off."

"None of your business," she snapped.

I felt like a pest she was trying to get rid of. My temper piqued at the thought.

I was about to say something when I realized that I didn't know her name.

"Uhm, I'm sorry but can you please tell me your name?" I asked, etiquette unmoved but voice bolder than before.

She looked up and for a moment I thought that she was going to hurl another insult towards me but she sighed and said, "Maya. I'm Maya."

"Okay...Maya, yesterday I was extremely impressed by your speech yesterday and wanted to congratulate you."

"Mmhm. Anything else? You are wasting my recess, you know."

This was it. 

I stood up. "The heck is wrong with you?" 

"I should be asking you that," Maya retorted, rising to her feet and I was terribly annoyed to see that she was taller than me. That meant that I had to tilt my head up.

"Look, I was here to try and be friends with you. But you and your big head and even bigger ego has shocked me."

"Well, I made no promises," she said blowing her nails.

The wrath in my chest crept to my face, heating it up. I turning around, "It was nice meeting you."

She scoffed, "Ditto."

I ignored her. 

I could not believe this girl had impressed me. She was a complete jerk. I swore to myself I would never meet her again.