Seven

"What were you thinking?"

Maya turned around, surprised.

"You don't come this early."

I stuttered, feeling caught but Maya simply smirked.

"Ah, you followed me as well," I said. I had figured out how she had known my home.

Maya shrugged.

We walked a bit then she spoke, "I am sorry- you know, about last night."

I sighed, "You scared me to death."

We walked inside and the first person we met was our floor supervisor.

"Girls, I hope you have prepared," she said, her sharp eyes considering us through her glasses.

We nodded. "You're competition is in three days. This Sunday." 

I felt the floor slip beneath my feet. What? In three days? We had not even memorized the script!

"Only one of you will speak. I presume you have decided who?"

"No, ma'am," I spluttered.

"Well, then I guess Maya you will do the honour?" she suggested.

I felt my heart drop to my feet. Of course. She speaks a million times better than me. I was-

"No, Samridhi will."

My head snapped in her direction, astounded.

"Are you sure, Maya?" Ma'am asked, speculatively.

"Yes."

Once our teacher walked away, I looked at Maya, "Maya, what the hell? Why did you let go of -"

"You are more interested in it than me."

I could do nothing but gape at her.

"Take it as a thank you," she said and walked away.

________________________________________

I walked into Maya's room that evening.

"Hey, please teach me some tricks, will you?" I said, pulling a stool close to Maya sitting by her desk.

"You forgot the magic word darling," she said, smirking slightly.

I rolled my eyes, "Please."

"You are in good hands," she winked.

I sighed. She and her ego.

"Give me some tips," I said. She raised her eyebrow. "Please, fine?"

"The first tip I'd give you is," she looked at me seriously.

"What?"

"Patience."

I growled, "Maya, I am stressed out here. I don't even have three days-"

She raised her hand. "Be calm. Our brains don't function well under stress."

She slowly lowered her hand and it brushed against my hand resting on the desk.

"Jeez. Your hands are cold. Coming to think of it, the first suggestion I'd give you is to keep yourself warm," she said, tightening her hand around mine.

"I come on the Activa," I said, "Of course my hands are cold."

"Don't you use gloves?"

"No use."

She shrugged as if saying Oh, well.

I had to keep from rolling my eyes back to my skull.

"Ah yes, let's look at your speech," she said, feigning putting on glasses, and lifted the page. At the same time, her fingers interlocked in mine.

Wait, let me repeat that, her fingers interlocked in mine.

Holy macaroni. What was going on?

Maya finally seemed to realise that I was staring my eyeballs out at her.

"What?" her eyes travelled to our hands. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise," she started, loosening her grip. Goodness me, she thought that I felt uncomfortable because of the...incident.

I held tight, "No it's okay."

I took my other hand and enveloped it around our intertwined hands.

"You are the last person who can make me feel uncomfortable," I said.

She peeked from the corner of her eye, a smirk making its way on her lips.

A strange feeling reverberated through me.

I let my words wash over me, slowly separating them into pieces and telling myself how much I meant them.

"Yeah, so the first thing to keep in mind is to know exactly what you want to convey. Next push all your feelings into the words..." Maya said.

All my feelings.

Feelings.