Sweet Emotion

Love, Eliot

I read the words until my eyes burned from staring at the screen. Eliot must have been at the rehearsal and in the journalism class. I thought back to the crowd of students waiting to get their assignment over with. The only one I paid attention to was Drew.

Drew.

I suppressed the panic forming in my head. The game had gone on long enough. I opened my message thread with Rosemary and sent her the link to the review.

"Holy shit,"

"I know,"

"At least we know he's in that class,"

I paused before responding, "So he could be a complete stranger,"

Disappointment tugged at my heart as I remembered Josiah.

"Wasn't Drew at the rehearsal?"

"Yes," The typing bubble sparked my curiosity.

"So why don't you ask him to tell you who is in the class,"

I paused before responding, "I'll do that,"

I switched the message threads and asked Drew to meet me for breakfast. His presence at the time of the rehearsal did nothing for my nerves. I stopped myself from assuming the worst.

I expected the vibration of my phone to be from Drew's response but Eliot's username lit up the screen instead.

"How was your day?"

"Anxiety inducing,"

"That bad?"

I glanced back at the review on my laptop before responding, "Confusing."

My conversation with Eliot ended before he could incite any sexual games. I tucked my phone underneath my pillow and shut down my computer. I planned on getting answers as soon as possible.

The almost empty cafe on campus relied on a retro jukebox to play pop hits from the year I graduated. The fact that I wouldn't be hearing any songs targeted for me over the speakers was a massive relief.

Waiting for Drew in the quaint restaurant gave me too much time to wonder about Eliot's identity. Josiah's casual appearances and general shady behavior could only be a striking coincidence.

Jenny, the auburn-haired waitress, wiped the counter and continued reading a novel. Her everlasting presence at the cafe was admirable. I struggled to turn in assignments on time while she worked almost every day of the week.

Drew walked through the jingling door a few moments after I picked up my coffee from the counter. The black caffeinated drink was as good as liquid gold.

"Already in need of a pick-me-up?" Drew asked after ordering his own drink.

I nodded, "I didn't get much sleep last night,"

"Drink away then," He slid into the seat in front of me and brushed his hair from his eyes, "So what did you need to ask me about?"

My tongue clicked in the back of my throat, "It's a weird one,"

"Lay it on me,"

"I need to know who is in your journalism class,"

"Why?"

"Just curious,"

He raised an eyebrow, "Spill it,"

"I read the reviews," I glanced at the ticking clock on the wall, "and one seemed familiar."