20

CHAPTER 20

Discovering her Passion

"LENA!" called Serena, flying downstairs one early morning when the sun poured its light into the living room.

"Yes?" came a voice under the roof.

"When is Aileen coming over to our house?" panted Serena in anticipation.

Lena looked over at her little sister absently from the chesterfield, still busy writing on her notebook. "Her mom phoned me today. She told me she'll come over in the afternoon."

"What time?"

"She didn't say, little sister."

"Oh. What time do you think she will come?"

"I don't know, Serena. Probably around one o'clock."

So, hours later, when the clock struck at about half-past two, Serena looked out the window from the living room to see if there was a sign of Aileen's car outside. So far, there was no sign of her friend. Serena dashed her way toward her sister again outside the veranda.

"Lena, she's not here yet," protested Serena. "It's almost three o'clock. What took her so long?"

"I don't know, Serena. Usually, it happens because of the traffic. I am sure they are on their way by now."

With a yawn from Lena, hot flames were rising against Serena's cheeks and her freckled nose twitched peevishly. Her tiny feet stomped across and facing the chair in which Lena was sitting.

"She told me she's going to be here anytime soon."

"She will come, eventually. You must be patient sometimes, Serena."

"I don't want to be patient," she snapped indignantly, failing to stifle her patience. "You said she's going to come here at one o'clock. Now it's passed for more than an hour, and I just wasted my day sitting upstairs alone doing nothing."

"I'll play dolls with you if that makes you feel any better."

The child huffed in a petulant air when one gets upset over a ruined expectation.

"I want to play with Aileen." She later crossed her chubby arms and tapped the floor a few times in a sulky demeanour. Her thin lips were pressed glumly and her forehead turned into a frown. Nevertheless, she made everything seem adorable.

Lena fell into a deep sigh and couldn't help but smile at the child who didn't know any better, for Serena had a habit of expecting things having her own way most of the time. It was normal for her, but Lena thought she would need her little sister to grow out of it soon.

After a few seconds of staying outside the veranda, a car drove by and parked out of their house in front of the Fosters gate.

"Now, is that your friend?" Lena raised a brow, eyes fixed upon the car that appeared.

Serena turned to look and sprang forward as her ears were flighty from her moody spirit alternating into an animated spirit when she saw her friend stood with her mother outside the gate.