i. the new member

DAMNED GODS,
chapter one: the new member!

          ONE WEEK AFTER THAT INCIDENT, Bruce kept the young girl in absolute medical surveillance - he wanted to see what other things her parents had done to her before this happened. Olivia, in part, didn't understand why she should be prostrated on another stretcher but Bruce assured her that the doctors wouldn't do anything wrong to her and that he would be with her all the time. Then Alfred would do his tests at the mansion after that was over. Olivia didn't resist this time and let the doctors do their job: urine and blood samples, detoxification of harmful fluids in her body and some CT scans. Over the days, Bruce Wayne knew that previous experiments were changing the physiology of the young girl and that the wounds on her wrists had already healed in a matter of hours. It was something magnificent and chilling at the same time.

          The doctors explained it to him in the best possible way, but he would then worry about analyzing the data in his report on the bat computer. The important thing was to know that Olivia was really safe and that all those experiments had no such long-term side effects. Dick also visited her and questioned his mentor about where she would go after medical checks came to an end. That same night, Olivia was on her stretcher, hugging a teddy bear that Dick and Bruce had given her - Dick was there with her, waiting for Bruce to return from the Wayne Tech tower for some papers. Grayson really wondered what Bruce was planning for Olivia, but knowing him from the bottom of his heart (and the five years they spent together) the boy knew that Bruce Wayne's intentions were good.

          Olivia, seeing Dick immersed in his own thoughts, decided to speak. "What does it feel like to be Robin?"

          Oh, little detail: Olivia knew that Bruce Wayne was the Dark Knight and Dick Grayson was the Boy Wonder.

          Actually, she knew it when she saw when Bruce took off his mask inside the Batmobile and trusted Olivia enough for her to keep the secret. It was a fun thing. The blond-haired girl waited for a response from Dick, however, she didn't want to invade his personal space with a subject that involved him too much but he looked at her calmly. "Sometimes it sucks, but punishing the guilty sometimes feels good. Bruce has taught me that."

          "Do you think I can become Robin?"

          Dick rethought it over and over again, his answer was too clear to shout at the four winds: Olivia would never be Robin. It was something unthinkable, something that had no discussion. Olivia was a pure, innocent and beautiful soul - a light to stick to in that overwhelming darkness of Gotham's streets. No, Olivia would never be Robin. Dick wouldn't allow it and that would make it clear to his mentor. She was never made to be a soldier for Bruce, Dick was - she couldn't be corrupted in the art of war and see blood spilled on the ground as Dick saw it. That was such a negative response that Dick didn't want to start an argument with the girl, it was too much. The boy leaned back in his chair, keeping his eyes on the girl again. "No, not for now, at least."